Altitude and blood flow

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
koneall
Family Elder

Re: Altitude and blood flow

Post by koneall »

I've lived in Wyoming for 35 years around 7000 feet above sea level. I've donated blood every three to four months for the entire time I've lived here. No reason other than hoping blood could help someone. I was diagnosed with MS in late June. Confirmed by multiple MRIs. I had an attack of vertigo, three days later I was fine and no problems since. I wonder if chronic phlebotomy coupled with altitude is why I haven't had more signs. Also I'm a long distance runner. Quit counting marathons when I passed #50 and switched to ultras 5 years ago. My wife thinks the exercise is why I've been symptom-free.

kaypeeoh
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Changes in air pressure are much more likely to affect venous blood pressure, which is low to start with. If the problem occurs because the venous pressure inside the skull is high, then higher altitudes may relieve it, because the pressure will be lower. Cabin pressures inside an airplane may be higher or lower than one atmosphere, so your mileage may vary.

Arterial blood pressure is much higher, measured using inches of mercury, much heavier than inches of water, which venous blood pressure uses.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
theskyking

Post by theskyking »

I'm just trying to decide whether living at 6500 feet my whole life, has HELPED or HURT my health and neurological issues.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Post by ThisIsMA »

Hi Theskyking,

I don't know the answer to your question and I'm not a medical professional, but if higher elevation makes blood thicker (as someone said earlier in this thread) and if CCSVI is real, and if a person has CCSVI, then it seems like living at lower elevation might be helpful since thinner blood might flow better through narrow veins....

I'm just guessing though...

I visited this thread because I was idly thinking about the possibility of moving to a higher elevation to get away from summer heat without having short winter days.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS