trying to decide if kids are the right choice

A forum for parents with multiple sclerosis, and how to cope with family life when a parent has MS.
Mldobbs

trying to decide if kids are the right choice

Post by Mldobbs »

Hello im new here. My husband of 5years was diagnosed with ms in our first year of marriage and has been in and out of the hospital. He is only 24 years old and we both want kids. The only thing im concerned about is the stress of having a new born in the house will continuely put my husband back in the hospital.should we still continue to try and see what happens? Just looking for opinions.thanks
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: trying to decide if kids are the right choice

Post by lyndacarol »

Mldobbs wrote:Hello im new here. My husband of 5years was diagnosed with ms in our first year of marriage and has been in and out of the hospital. He is only 24 years old and we both want kids. The only thing im concerned about is the stress of having a new born in the house will continuely put my husband back in the hospital.should we still continue to try and see what happens? Just looking for opinions.thanks
Welcome to ThisIsMS.

Here is my opinion: A child is a blessing – and a lot of work, but you are young and will handle the challenge. Line up family and friends who might be willing to help at times – for the mom's sake, more than for the dad's sake.

Since you "both want kids," I encourage you to go for it. It is not entirely in your hands. It is my opinion that if it happens, the stress of a baby will NOT cause your husband's health to deteriorate. And certainly will not put your husband in the hospital. In fact, a child may cause the family to live a healthier lifestyle – more nutritious diet, more exercise, and more sleep (but NOT in the first 6 months!)

A healthy lifestyle is recommended for a woman even BEFORE pregnancy. Check our Diet forum here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/

At this time my own personal favorite is an organic diet…http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/topic26649.html

We wish you all the best.

Return to “Parents with MS”