Life Hacks for Parenting Toddlers?

A forum for parents with multiple sclerosis, and how to cope with family life when a parent has MS.
cinnamongirl

Life Hacks for Parenting Toddlers?

Post by cinnamongirl »

Hi, I'm new here but I've been diagnosed with MS for 5 years. I have an 11 month old daughter who isn't walking yet but will be soon. I'm concerned about chasing after her once she is walking and oh dear...running! I cannot run after her and am just anxious about this stage. I'm also worried about holding her while walking. My balance is not great and I've fallen with her once already which was very scary. I know as she gets bigger the more she will throw my balance off...she might start walking, but I know there will be times I have to carry her. My husband is a huge help but I just know there will be some circumstances where thinking out side the box could really benefit the situation. I was wondering if there are any ideas from folks out there who have been though this. Any tips, hacks, or ideas for keeping your little ones safe when you cannot out-maneuver them?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Life Hacks for Parenting Toddlers?

Post by lyndacarol »

cinnamongirl wrote:Hi, I'm new here but I've been diagnosed with MS for 5 years. I have an 11 month old daughter who isn't walking yet but will be soon. I'm concerned about chasing after her once she is walking and oh dear...running! I cannot run after her and am just anxious about this stage. I'm also worried about holding her while walking. My balance is not great and I've fallen with her once already which was very scary. I know as she gets bigger the more she will throw my balance off...she might start walking, but I know there will be times I have to carry her. My husband is a huge help but I just know there will be some circumstances where thinking out side the box could really benefit the situation. I was wondering if there are any ideas from folks out there who have been though this. Any tips, hacks, or ideas for keeping your little ones safe when you cannot out-maneuver them?
Welcome to ThisIsMS, cinnamongirl.

My ideas are probably old-fashioned. I was dealing with my toddler son 30 years ago. More than anything, the increasing weight of a child made problems for me (I was 10 years pre-MS diagnosis at that time.). A stroller was invaluable! Your husband, like mine, is the greatest source of help. And your daughter will simply have to be more independent and, at the same time, learn to follow your directions. (Both traits will be positive in school and in life.)

Now, I am curious about your daughter… Did you breast-feed her as I did my son? At what month of age did she begin to crawl, to pull herself up and stand? Has your OB/GYN screened you for a possible vitamin B12 deficiency? Balance issues can result from B12 deficiency (not ALL your symptoms are necessarily due to MS – we can have other issues, too).

You are obviously a very thoughtful, careful person. You are already planning for future possibilities. I am sure you will handle any situation that arises.
cinnamongirl

Re: Life Hacks for Parenting Toddlers?

Post by cinnamongirl »

Thanks for the reply and ideas! She was a combo baby, breastfed and formula until 8 months. She crawled at 8-9months and is pulling up to stand at 9 months. I've been tested for b12 in the past and it wasn't an issue then.

Return to “Parents with MS”