Strattera (atomoxetine)

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
LJ72

Strattera (atomoxetine)

Post by LJ72 »

Has anyone tried Strattera for cognitive issues? I have heard that it can help with executive functioning problems.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Strattera (atomoxetine)

Post by NHE »

LJ72 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:36 am Has anyone tried Strattera for cognitive issues? I have heard that it can help with executive functioning problems.
I don't take Strattera nor do I know of anyone that does. However, you may wish to read through the Prescribing Information for Strattera. There seems to be some rather serious side effects associated with its use. I would look for an alternative.

http://pi.lilly.com/us/strattera-pi.pdf
  • Suicidal Ideation – Monitor for suicidality, clinical worsening, and unusual changes in behavior. (5.1)

• Severe Liver Injury – Should be discontinued and not restarted in patients with jaundice or laboratory evidence of liver injury. (5.2)

• Serious Cardiovascular Events – Sudden death, stroke and myocardial infarction have been reported in association with atomoxetine treatment. Patients should have a careful history and physical exam to assess for presence of cardiovascular disease. STRATTERA generally should not be used in children or adolescents with known serious structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious heart rhythm abnormalities, or other serious cardiac problems that may place them at increased vulnerability to its noradrenergic effects. Consideration should be given to not using STRATTERA in adults with clinically significant cardiac abnormalities. (5.3)

• Emergent Cardiovascular Symptoms – Patients should undergo prompt cardiac evaluation. (5.3)

• Effects on Blood Pressure and Heart Rate – Increase in blood pressure and heart rate; orthostasis and syncope may occur. Use with caution in patients with hypertension, tachycardia, or cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease. (5.4)

• Emergent Psychotic or Manic Symptoms – Consider discontinuing treatment if such new symptoms occur. (5.5)

• Bipolar Disorder – Screen patients to avoid possible induction of a mixed/manic episode. (5.6)

• Aggressive behavior or hostility should be monitored. (5.7)

• Possible allergic reactions, including anaphylactic reactions, angioneurotic edema, urticaria, and rash. (5.8)

• Effects on Urine Outflow – Urinary hesitancy and retention may occur. (5.9)

• Priapism – Prompt medical attention is required in the event of suspected priapism. (5.10, 17)

• Growth – Height and weight should be monitored in pediatric patients. (5.11)

• Concomitant Use of Potent CYP2D6 Inhibitors or Use in patients known to be CYP2D6 PMs – Dose adjustment of STRATTERA may be necessary. (5.13)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
I don't think this is a recognised MS treatment. There are some references that suggest it might be in the midst of trials but no results are published yet.
Did you find this yourself or is someone suggesting you try it?
As NHE's post suggests, it is not a lolly.
Are you looking to deal with 'cog fog'?

Regards,
LJ72

Post by LJ72 »

I have executive functioning problems that are impacting my work capabilities (attention, processing, memory etc.). It was recommended to me by the psychologist who performed my neuro-cognitive testing.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

LJ72 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 am I have executive functioning problems that are impacting my work capabilities (attention, processing, memory etc.). It was recommended to me by the psychologist who performed my neuro-cognitive testing.
How does caffeine affect you?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Without trying to smear your psychologist, can I suggest you get a second opinion from a neurologist skilled in MS. Strattera is an ADHD medication. It's playing around with norepinephrine (a neurotransmitter) and can elevate that and dopamine in your prefrontal cortex. It could affect your mood and perceptions without changing any MS symptom. Studies on people with Parkinsons showed some improvement. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683743/ but I assume that is not your problem. Sometimes it is used with Epilepsy but comes with the risk of seizures.

A psychologist usually doesn't prescribe drugs. Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs because they are medical doctors.

I would not take a drug like this on the recommendation of a psychologist.

You need a qualified second opinion.

Regards,
LJ72

Post by LJ72 »

NHE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:12 pm
LJ72 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 am I have executive functioning problems that are impacting my work capabilities (attention, processing, memory etc.). It was recommended to me by the psychologist who performed my neuro-cognitive testing.
How does caffeine affect you?
Caffeine makes me jittery and impairs my focus even more.
LJ72

Post by LJ72 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:17 pm Hi,

Without trying to smear your psychologist, can I suggest you get a second opinion from a neurologist skilled in MS. Strattera is an ADHD medication. It's playing around with norepinephrine (a neurotransmitter) and can elevate that and dopamine in your prefrontal cortex. It could affect your mood and perceptions without changing any MS symptom. Studies on people with Parkinsons showed some improvement. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683743/ but I assume that is not your problem. Sometimes it is used with Epilepsy but comes with the risk of seizures.

A psychologist usually doesn't prescribe drugs. Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs because they are medical doctors.

I would not take a drug like this on the recommendation of a psychologist.

You need a qualified second opinion.

Regards,
I am a nurse so I understand the potential medication implications, however I am at the point where if I do not do something to help with this issue I am going to have to leave my job, which I cannot afford to do. I am also in neuro-cognitive rehab which has not really showed any promising results. My psychologist has seen other MS patients have success with this medicine.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
Without trying to claim any medical background at all, can I take you through my experience. In 2014, I spent 3 and a half weeks in hospital and then followed that with two years of rehab. That is all very conventional but apart from the inpatient stay there was little that the hospital offered that was of any usefulness at all. I did undergo a lot of neurocognitive testing in hospital and they confirmed there was a noticeable deterioration over several months. Among other things that I did, I took 5x150mg of CoQ10 (clearly a megadose) and 2x1000 mg of aceytl-l-carnitine daily. I was doing other things as well but I want to stay focussed on cellular respiration. The CoQ10 is like the conductor in the electron transport chain and the carnitine is critical to burning fatty acids in the mitochondria. Both are supplements, rather than drugs. However, CoQ10 will interfere with the drug Warfarin so if you are on that, check with a doctor. It would be folly not to.
Now, I no longer have any fatigue and cognitive problems at all. (At my worst,I would get lost travelling on trains and end up at some random station I did not know)

You could try doing that and see what happens. Some prescription medications can really bomb you out, so that would need to be considered.

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

LJ72 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:43 am
NHE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:12 pm How does caffeine affect you?
There are other supplements you could try, e.g., fish oil, ginkgo, methylcobalamin with methylfolate, phosphatidylserine, magnesium threonate, fisetin, etc...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

LJ72 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:43 am
NHE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:12 pm How does caffeine affect you?
Have you been evaluated for ADHD?
LJ72

Post by LJ72 »

Yes I have. I do not have it.

Return to “General Medications”