acthar?

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
dkep11
Family Member

acthar?

Post by dkep11 »

Hi all

In a few weeks I've been approved to give Acthar a try, visit acthar.com for more poop.

It is ungodly expensive; if you are interested too make 100% sure it is covered for you before you go on it.

I'm currently gathering info. I hadn't heard of it before - have you? Any info to share?

It's a 5-day-a-month IM shot intended for MS that hasn't responded to anything else.
TKT

Re: acthar?

Post by TKT »

You are going to use this as a treatment? I thought this was used for acute exacerbations similar to IV steroids. I used it once when I had a relapse where I was falling down. My dr has now recommended it for a case of ON like symptoms (I say ON symptoms because the eye dr says my eye looks great). I am not sure for this case the benefits outweigh the risks.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: acthar?

Post by NHE »

THE doctor was dumbfounded: a drug that used to cost $50 was now selling for $28,000 for a 5-milliliter vial.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/busin ... .html?_r=0
H.P. Acthar Gel was initially approved in 1952, the year before Turing's Daraprim, the subject of this week's controversy. It treats infantile spasms and exacerbations of multiple sclerosis in adults, among other indications, and its price, The New York Times reported in 2012, hopped one day in 2007 to $23,000 a vial, from $1,650.

The increase attracted scrutiny, but not enough to stop Questcor from continuing to raise the price. Between February 2007 and June 2015, data from Bernstein show, the drug's cost rose by more than 19 times.
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/24/drug-pri ... rgets.html

Return to “General Medications”