gabapentin

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
its2much
Getting to Know You...

gabapentin

Post by its2much »

My neuro put me on gabapentin for pain in my legs and hips. Fatigue was an issue and now I'm even more fatigued.. My balance is of as well. Is this usual?
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

For me, any medication to reduce pain, spasticity, makes me weaker.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Re: gabapentin

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

I was given Gabapentin for nerve pain a few years ago before I was diagnosed with MS...nerve pain that was MS pain and at that time my balance became really awful. But was it the Gabapentin or the MS??? My guess is that the Gabapentin makes one's balance worse. But what was even worse for me was that I gained weight horribly while I was on the stuff. The only good thing to come of it for me was that I was finally able to sleep after months of not being able to get a single good night's sleep.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

without gabapentin, my feet feel as though i have electric current running across my soles.
i don't know if it makes me weaker (i'm fairly weak), but i doubt i'd stop taking it to find out.
elyse
Maledicte
Family Member

Post by Maledicte »

All I can say is avoid this (if you're taking for nerve pain)
it causes suicidal feelings and worsens depression
Try Epitol if you have nerve pain, little to no side effects (dry mouth for most)
and $4 at pharmacy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Maledictesjewels
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

Maledicte,
Thank you for that information. I do not need to add to my depression.
Wishing you a great new year.
elyse
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Post by MarkLavelle »

elyse_peace wrote:I do not need to add to my depression.
Depression is a *potential* side effect, not guaranteed. If you've been using gabapentin already without new/increased depression there's no reason to stop (unless/until you *do* have side effects, of course)...

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
Maledicte
Family Member

Post by Maledicte »

MarkLavelle wrote:
elyse_peace wrote:I do not need to add to my depression.
Depression is a *potential* side effect, not guaranteed. If you've been using gabapentin already without new/increased depression there's no reason to stop (unless/until you *do* have side effects, of course)...
I don't think depression - esp to the point of planning suicide is worth
someone risking gabapentin

You sound like a pzfizer salesman
Epitol (if you look it up) has little to 0 side effects

On the other hand, pfizer has had SEVERAL lawsuits for fraud
but hey, let's risk depression
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Maledictesjewels
Mike56
Family Elder

Post by Mike56 »

I felt more tired when I first started taking gabapentin, but once I built up to an effective dose, that tired feeling went away, although I still struggle with fatigue, which to me feels different that a drug induced tiredness.

I've tried to reduce my dose a couple times by 300mg/day but each time my neuropathic pain returned within a day or two, which is proof enough to me that the gabapentin is working.

I haven't had any depression issues, but my DMD also warns depression as a potential side effect so if I did start to suffer depression I wouldn't know what medicine, if any, was the cause. I'm thinking any side effects would show up early on when taking any new drug, but I may be wrong.

I also have balance problems, but I never noticed any increased balance issues since taking gabapentin, although they may have gotten worse and I just didn't notice....

Mike
silverwings87
Family Member

Post by silverwings87 »

I'm in the same boat as you, I am undiagnosed, But have a lot of MS symptoms, and my neurologist started me on gabapentin and I have no pain at all, I know it's also good for some other things but I don't know if it's really worth me taking it?? I haven't got to my full 900mg yet, I know my foot stop buzzing the first few days but it seems to be back already... But I'll take my foot buzzing any day to try to find something will help with my memory and speech issues...
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Has anyone out there considered pre-gabalin as opposed to gabapentin? I have read personal accounts that they are not as fatigued and reduced CONSTANT weight gain. I really hate the leg pain, but I am sick of the cumulative effect of all of these drugs increasing weight gain and fatigue. It's not just vanity, an increase of 20 pounds to drag around with every footstep has to add to fatigue.

That was really bad sentence structure, but do you understand what I'm saying?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..