bone mineral density & corticosteroids

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
WarmOutToday
Family Member

bone mineral density & corticosteroids

Post by WarmOutToday »

after being treated with a very high dose of steroids, i was given a diagnosis of schummermans disease & osteo-penia. before the steroids they called it postural hyper-kyphosis.

im a little upset about the situation. how did u guys feel after taking steroids?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2965908/
Results:

The results show that significant reduction in BMD occurs in both groups, however, oral corticosteroids produce significantly more reduction in BMD in the lumbar spine. BMD was not found to be affected by the cumulative doses of corticosteroids, the duration of daily oral corticosteroid intake, or the number of IV dexamethasone pulses.

Conclusion:

Corticosteroid treatment causes significant BMD loss in patients treated by either route. Prophylactic treatment against osteoporosis is mandatory in patients receiving either form of corticosteroids./
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: bone mineral density & corticosteroids

Post by NHE »

WarmOutToday wrote:after being treated with a very high dose of steroids, i was given a diagnosis of schummermans disease & osteo-penia. before the steroids they called it postural hyper-kyphosis.

im a little upset about the situation. how did u guys feel after taking steroids?
I've only had steroids twice and that was over 10 years ago so I really don't know if they caused a problem. However, I've recently been reading about bone mineral density testing and related subjects as a family member was diagnosed with 2 stress fractures in the pelvis. My question is what supplements are you taking? You might want to look into zinc, magnesium glycinate, calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin K2.
WarmOutToday
Family Member

Post by WarmOutToday »

luckily i found a neurologist who actually agrees with me not taking any drugs for ms, and she also believe's the damage done by the steroids can be reversed with proper diet (we'll see) .
NHE wrote:My question is what supplements are you taking? You might want to look into zinc, magnesium glycinate, calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin K2.
ohhhh yea. jimmylegs convinced me.

right now im taking a multi-vitamin, 60mg zinc picolinate, and a good amount of d3. also a diet that includes all the good stuff :-D

what do you think? am i missing anything?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I had osteo-penia from using Prednisone fairly often. I was put on Fosamax for a year, and it helped return my bone density to low normal.