MS Drugs in General

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
thisiswater
Family Member

MS Drugs in General

Post by thisiswater »

I am brand new to MS drugs. I'll be having a spinal tap to confirm my neuro's pending dx of MS (based on 2 MRIs) and the next step will be treatment options. What *are* my options likely to be for RRMS? Is there a progression from conservative to more aggressive meds? All resources and opinions welcome!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: MS Drugs in General

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome to TIMS.

In general, all MS drugs may help reduce the number of relapses but do not necessarily affect the course of the illness. In my opinion, it is worth being on one as even 1 less relapse is a good thing (I take one). There are positives and negatives to all of them, so do your homework to find the 'right' one for you. There is a lot of info on this site as well as on the web, and of course your doctor should be able to assist you with your questions and concerns as well.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

thisiswater wrote:I am brand new to MS drugs. I'll be having a spinal tap to confirm my neuro's pending dx of MS (based on 2 MRIs) and the next step will be treatment options. What *are* my options likely to be for RRMS? Is there a progression from conservative to more aggressive meds? All resources and opinions welcome!
No-one knows what path your MS will take. If I was in your position now, I would look into (ie not necessarily do it) an aggressive treatment option such as Lemtrada or HSCT. These options are only available early on and appear to possibly be very effective; and of course have their side effects.
thisiswater
Family Member

Post by thisiswater »

Tell me more about Lemtrada or HSCT; is the latter stem cell tx? Also, which are oral meds and which are by injection or IV. Will I likely have to deal with injections or infusion tx? Thanks again for your patience I'm a *real* novice!