Pain and the Feds?

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
Cammie
Family Member

Pain and the Feds?

Post by Cammie »

My pain has increased, so I increased my Oxycodone but still stayed within prescription limits. When I called for my renewal of the med, they mailed the hardcopy to my pharmacy for me. But when I tried to get my prescription, they said that I had to wait another week! My husband called the doctor's office, and they said I had been put under some contract where I was supposed to take LESS than the prescription called for, because that's what the Feds want for pain patients. This happened late Friday afternoon, and I have to call Monday to get it straightened out. This has left me frightened. I have a LOT of pain, and already have tried to make do with as little pain med as possible. Before long I may have to ask for an increase. Now this? How can the feds possibly understand these pain issues?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Pain and the Feds?

Post by lyndacarol »

Cammie wrote:My pain has increased, so I increased my Oxycodone but still stayed within prescription limits. When I called for my renewal of the med, they mailed the hardcopy to my pharmacy for me. But when I tried to get my prescription, they said that I had to wait another week! My husband called the doctor's office, and they said I had been put under some contract where I was supposed to take LESS than the prescription called for, because that's what the Feds want for pain patients. This happened late Friday afternoon, and I have to call Monday to get it straightened out. This has left me frightened. I have a LOT of pain, and already have tried to make do with as little pain med as possible. Before long I may have to ask for an increase. Now this? How can the feds possibly understand these pain issues?
There is good reason for you to call your GP and request a simple blood test for your vitamin D level. (The test is called "25-hydroxy D"; it is inexpensive – about $70 – and is covered by Medicare and by most insurance companies.)

Inadequate Vitamin D Levels Linked to High Use of Narcotic Medications by Patients in Chronic Pain , March 27, 2009
Source: Mayo Clinic
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 112114.htm

Summary: New research shows a correlation between inadequate vitamin D levels and the amount of narcotic medication taken by patients who have chronic pain.

"This study found that patients who required narcotic pain medication, and who also had inadequate levels of vitamin D, were taking much higher doses of pain medication – nearly twice as much – as those who had adequate levels."

Vitamin D and Chronic Pain: Promising Correlates
Colleen E Nadolski, RN, MSN, ANP-C
US Pharmacist, July 18, 2012
https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/vi ... correlates

"The case reviews and studies presented in this article suggest not only an association of low vitamin D levels with various pain syndromes, but also an improvement in symptoms with vitamin D repletion. Mechanisms underlying this association have not been identified or quantified."
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

What kind of pain are you experiencing?
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

I have just had results from my Vitamin D test, and the Neuro said I need to double my D intake. Hopefully, it will help.
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

It starts with pain in my throat, goes into my neck, and travels to different parts of my body at different times. Lately I have been getting a great deal of pain in my feet and legs. I do take Gabapentin, but it only goes so far.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Cammie wrote:I have just had results from my Vitamin D test, and the Neuro said I need to double my D intake. Hopefully, it will help.
Be sure you are taking the right form of vitamin D. You want vitamin D3 (also called cholecalciferol). Be aware that doctors in the US usually prescribed D2 (which is not as good as D3).

Vitamin D3 Is More Potent than Vitamin D2 in Humans (2010)
JCEM (Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism)
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2010-2230

"Conclusion: D3 is approximately 87% more potent in raising and maintaining serum 25(OH)D concentrations and produces 2- to 3-fold greater storage of vitamin D than does equimolar D2. For neither was there evidence of sequestration in fat, as had been postulated for doses in this range. Given its greater potency and lower cost, D3 should be the preferred treatment option when correcting vitamin D deficiency."

By the way, I'm curious to know if you have the actual test result number. If so, would you share with us?
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

I do take D3. I was not given the number, only told it was low and I needed to double.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Cammie wrote:I do take D3. I was not given the number, only told it was low and I needed to double.
For future reference, you should request your own copy of any test results – it is important to have the actual numbers.

In the present situation, perhaps you could call your neuro's office and obtain a copy or the number result of your vitamin D test.

The issue is the serum level, not the intake dose. After taking vitamin D supplements for a few months, your neuro (or GP) should test again in order to monitor your serum level – to be sure you have achieved and are maintaining an optimal level.

You can find lots of info on vitamin D at the California-based GrassrootsHealth website: http://www.GrassrootsHealth.net