Death of MS patient prompts FDA Gilenya review

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.
MSUK
Family Elder

Death of MS patient prompts FDA Gilenya review

Post by MSUK »

The death of a multiple sclerosis patient shortly after a first dose of fingolimod (Gilenya) is under review by the FDA, the agency said.

No specific cause of death has been determined in the case, which occurred on Nov. 23, and the FDA emphasized that it had not ascertained that the drug was related to the fatal outcome.

Fingolimod's prescribing information includes a warning about bradycardia and/or atrioventricular conduction block in the first hours after starting the drug. Clinicians are advised to monitor patients for six hours following the first dose.

In the fatal case, the patient was also taking the beta-blocker metoprolol and the calcium channel antagonist amlodipine. These drugs are associated with increased risk for bradycardia and heart blocks, the FDA noted.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1309
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Death of MS patient prompts FDA Gilenya review

Post by CureOrBust »

No specific cause of death has been determined in the case, which occurred on Nov. 23, and the FDA emphasized that it had not ascertained that the drug was related to the fatal outcome.
Really? I find it hard to believe that this is the first case of someone who is taking Gilenya to have died, its only the first within 24hrs? The only reason this case is being reported is because there is some known link to the medication. I also find it hard to believe that no autopsy has been completed with a cause of death. I am not normally one for conspiracy theories, but I am thinking Novartis are blocking the release of this information somehow.