Gilenya and Airplane travel

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.
mccpm
Getting to Know You...

Gilenya and Airplane travel

Post by mccpm »

Hello all. I am due to start Gilenya at the end of next week. I have been on Copaxone for about 2 years but still seeing a new lesion every few months. Was wondering if anyone has experience traveling on airplanes while on Gilenya. I have to travel internationally every 6-8 weeks (Asia and Latin America) which requires flights of 10-16 hours. I also take a lot of trains so I guess I spend time in some of the dirtiest environments possible! I have never had problems with my getting sick on planes before but I typically take precautions like wearing a surgical mask and frequent hand washing.

If anyone has any experience at all with travel while on Gilenya I would be interested to hear from you.

Thanks
Jmayginb

Re: Gilenya and Airplane travel

Post by Jmayginb »

Never been an issue for me over the last 3-4 years.Take normal precautions and ensure you have enough meds with you. I recommend having them in your carry on luggage for temperature stability. GILENYA reduces your lymphocytes specifically- research reputable resources regarding the implications you are concerned about.