Would like to hear from people using Ampyra

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
20yrswMS

Re: Would like to hear from people using Ampyra

Post by 20yrswMS »

I am a 52 year old woman. I have been using Ampyra for about 3 months now. I was minimally affected until 6 months ago or so when the walking difficulty began due to increased plaques in my brain over the last 3 years. As far as I'm concerned, this is a freaking wonder drug!!! I did have a little difficulty with the first dose, taken at bedtime, with chills and extreme chattering of the teeth (probably a form of tremors). My doctor took me off for 1 day and had me resume with 1 pill in the A.M.s only. I still take 10 mg. in the morning, which is half strength. I do not notice any difference in the morning prior to my next dose at all. And, while it took a couple months to give me all of the great assistance with walking that I now experience (5 second improvement in speed in 25 feet!), I did notice some improvement within 3 or 4 days. I still have a little less strength in my left leg, as I tend not to lift it as high when I walk, but my knees are no longer stiff and my cadence is near normal. There are still behavioral modifications to be made, especially if you ride cowhorses as I do, but all in all, I would never go back to the way it was. I recently tried to pair it with Copaxone, but had too much trouble with the Copaxone. It seemed to make my feet numb again. So, I stopped the Copaxone. Maybe I'll retry it again later.

One more thing... it seems counterintuitive if you have urinary urgency, but drink lots of water! It really helps!

Can I invest in this company?!

P.S. Be careful of compounding pharmacies. Check out recent news for more on this!
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

I started using Ampyra about three months ago and what a difference it has made! I am now much steadier on my feet than I used to be and my gait has improved ten-fold. I don't stumble around like I used to, especially while walking my dog. I haven't used my cane at all, which is a vast improvement. All in all, I feel more like my old self. I still have the spasticity in my right foot, but that seems to be less troublesome in the cooler weather.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

questor wrote:I had a mild focal seizure while walking my dog earlier this month. I had been on half-dose Ampyra for about a year because of increased seizure risk related to my age (58+) and mild kidney disease. My doctor said the seizure was most certainly a side-effect of the Ampyra. So, I've had to stop it.
What is a focal seizure and how long did it last, etc?

Thanks
funstuff

Post by funstuff »

Is it dangerus to start Ampyra, if one can't walk just yet, do to a resent relaps.?
Pktpkt
Family Member

Post by Pktpkt »

I noticed the difference after my second dose. I've been on it for 3 weeks so far and I feel normal again.

I am a 39 year old male diagnosed last fall 2014, and I gotta say, this medicine has me running again. It has eliminated my foot drop , and I've tripped my time and have increased my speed during my fast walk treadmill excercise. Again, with no foot drop. I feel like my legs are back.

I can walk all day. I can stand on my feet often now without fatigue, and the gruelling afternoon (on a hot day) fatigue I was suffering from is basically gone. My urinary urgency is gone. I feel more stable on my feet altogether.

I plan on taking this medicine for the rest of my life.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Pktpkt wrote:I plan on taking this medicine for the rest of my life.
I would recommend exercising and weening off the medication if possible. I have been using it for a few years now myself, and am trying to stop my dependency on it. MS normally means your EDSS will increase. I think you should try to gain back function normally and keep this up your sleeve for that which you can't.
Pktpkt
Family Member

Post by Pktpkt »

I feel stable on my feet again. I feel more together. I feel normal again. I can fly up and down stairs. I walk all day in very hot weather with absolutely no drop foot. Then I can run to my car afterwards. I still eat as much green as possible. I still avoid dairy and red meat as much as possible. I'm still on a rigorous supplement regimen. I'm excersising 4 days a week........

......and sorry to say I'm not weaning myself off of shit. I'm glad Fampyra exists. It has been a game changer for me. Every body function is working better.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

I ve been taking Ampyra (2*10 mg per day) for 6 years.
I ve never felt good or bad effects while on it.

However, today, I forgot to take my 5pm pill.
Result: I am feeling so bad! I can barely walk!!!