Approval for Fampyra in Australia

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
MSUK
Family Elder

Approval for Fampyra in Australia

Post by MSUK »

The Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has granted approval for Fampyra™, (fampridine) 10 mg Modified Release (MR) tablet, for the symptomatic improvement of walking ability in adult patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) who have shown improvement after eight weeks of treatment.

Fampyra demonstrated efficacy in people with all four majortypes of MS (relapsing remitting, secondary progressive, progressive relapsing and primary progressive). Fampyra can be used alone or with existing MS therapies, including immunomodulator drugs..... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1310
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

It might be nice if the drug was available here in Canada (where it was supposedly developed) :wink:
khehran

Post by khehran »

It's unfortunate that we can't get AMPYRA in Canada - what are the doctors afraid of? This drug works, as I have personal experience with it.
:cry:
cathy247

Re: Approval for Fampyra in Australia

Post by cathy247 »

I inquired at our chemist today and was told Fampyra™, (fampridine) costs $650.00 per script putting it well out of my reach. My GP and the pharmacist had never heard of it ... :? :confused:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Its not cheap here in Australia either. If you want a cheaper alternative, investigate getting it compounded.
sunshinetwo

Post by sunshinetwo »

Fampyra

This drug went before the PBS yesterday and was rejected. Don't know how long we have to wait before it can go before them again. Can buy it from echemist if you need it and can afford it.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I get it compounded in 10mg capsules, 100 for about $60