Ampyra ® - improvement of patient-reported walking ability

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
MSUK
Family Elder

Ampyra ® - improvement of patient-reported walking ability

Post by MSUK »

Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. announced an analysis of pooled clinical trial results showed patients who were responders to Ampyra® (dalfampridine) Extended Release Tablets, 10 mg demonstrated clinically relevant improvements in walking ability as measured by patient self-report on the 12-Item Multiple Sclerosis Walking Scale (MSWS-12), regardless of either their baseline Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score or baseline walking speed.

The data were presented at the 2011 Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC) Annual Meeting, held June 1-4 in Montreal, Canada. Ampyra is an oral medication approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a treatment to improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). This was demonstrated by an increase in walking speed.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1310
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Ampyra ® - improvement of patient-reported walking abil

Post by CureOrBust »

Acorda Therapeutics, Inc wrote:... Ampyra® (dalfampridine) Extended Release Tablets, 10 mg demonstrated clinically relevant improvements in walking ability as measured by patient self-report on the 12-Item Multiple Sclerosis Walking Scale (MSWS-12), regardless of either their baseline Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score or baseline walking speed.
I was using 4-AP a few years ago, and found it to be brilliant. However, this trial really seems like a "check the boxes" so they can say they went through the trial process. I would not be surprised if they had better results with caffeine or even better with a prescription Amphetamine. But do not get me wrong, I am glad it is now available, and even though it costs an arm and a leg, I would be interested to compare it to compounded 4-AP. :-?