Fampyra launched in the UK to aid MS walking

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
MSUK
Family Elder

Fampyra launched in the UK to aid MS walking

Post by MSUK »

Fampyra (fampridine) is indicated for use in multiple sclerosis to improve walking in patients who have a walking disability (EDSS 4-7).

Pharmacology

Fampridine is a potassium channel blocker. It prolongs channel repolarisation which enhances action potential formation in demyelinated axons, leading to improved neurological function.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1310
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
LSITC
Family Member

Re: Fampyra launched in the UK to aid MS walking

Post by LSITC »

I am trialling ampyra and wonder if anyone else is so we can compare benefits and side effects.
I am finding it is helping me combat fatigue, in fact my energy levels are better with amprya than with modafinil. Also legs feel stronger. However I have dizziness, heartburn and constipation!

You cannot win with these drugs I guess :-D
twintwin

Post by twintwin »

Ampyra (marketed as fampyra) was introduced to Australia in October 2011, so it is new to this country as well. I have been taking it since the end of October. Like you, I am delighted that my fatigue level has improved remarkably. I have more energy than I have had in years. My legs are stronger as well. I am headed to my doctor this week to have my blood pressure taken. I think the fampyra has raised my BP. But I am half ignoring this as I am so happy to have energy again.

I had some other side effects (feelings of being bloated, heartburn, throat pain) but these disappeared in time. The blood pressure problem issue continues.

It is good to keep track of others new to this medication. Let's keep in touch.

How long has fampyra been available in the UK? How much does it cost there?
LSITC
Family Member

Post by LSITC »

Hi TwiNTwin. Good to hear from you. FYI all side effects have now disappeared thank goodness. I am now taking 2 x 10mg daily as I could not tolerate full dose initially but have done it progressively over a few months. I am sorry you are having blood pressure problems. Because my neuro enrolled me on the trial before the cutoff date I am still obtaining these drugs free through the NHS but my pharmacist has warned me that they will be very expensive when I have to pay for them. What is cost over there ?
Good luck and stay well.