Acorda's Ampyra fails main goal of post-marketing study

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Thomas
Family Elder

Post by Thomas »

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:39am EDT
(Reuters) - Acorda Therapeutics Inc said a post-marketing study of its multiple sclerosis drug Ampyra failed to meet the main trial goal of an improvement in patients' walking speed.

The 5 mg and 10 mg doses of Ampyra did not yield statistically significant results on the timed 25-foot walk test as compared with the placebo group, the company said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... FD20120813
gymbuff
Family Elder

Re: Acorda's Ampyra fails main goal of post-marketing study

Post by gymbuff »

I never understood the fascination with increased walking speed. I just wanted to walk better and more upright posture. I was on the treadmill last week and did 300 meters holding with one hand (walking stick) and a further 200 meters holding with 2 hands all in 30 minutes. I was quite proud of my achievement. Another day I walked 500 meters in 20 minutes holding with 2 hands. I am now concentrating on achieving 500 meters in 30 minutes with 1 hand. BTW dx 24 years ago. On Tysabri 5+ years and just finishing my second month of Ampyra. It's all good :-D
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I am guessing that they just found it harder to measure other parameters, and took if you walk steadier, you will walk faster. I have tried 4-AP and did not notice faster walking, but I did notice that I FEEL considerable less disabled when on it.

If it was purely on walking speed, I would be willing to bet that two cans of a caffeine based energy drink would report better test results.
Tracker
Family Member

Post by Tracker »

I had the same result as Cure or Bust. Did not have increased walking speed, but my legs Much stronger ie if I was on the floor, could not get up, but when taking 4-AP, my legs were strong enough to enable me to stand up.
When taking 10mg of 4-AP, I would get bad side effects, and could not tolerate that dose, so started taking 5mg every 4 hours. Now I take 4-6 x 5mg every 4 hours, every day.
4-AP is very cheap to have it compounded yourself, why bother with Ampyra - the pharmaceutical company is making a Huge profit on this drug. They treat MS as an Industry.