Vision Improvements with Ampyra?

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Loony03

Vision Improvements with Ampyra?

Post by Loony03 »

Is there anyone here with optic neuritis who has noticed any vision improvements after taking Ampyra? I was dx with MS about 5 years ago after going in for vision problems (which ended up being optic neuritis.) My vision has never fully recovered. I think my good eye is at about 20/30 or 40 and the bad one is close to 20/200. Unfortunately my damaged/blind spot is in my central vision in the affected eye. I checked into a trial that is looking into possible benefits of Ampyra for ON. It sounds like I would be eligible, but not sure that I will be able to make the trips to another state.

So, the last time I met with my neuro, I complained a bit more than usual of walking difficulties/spasticity. She mentioned a drug that she'd be willing to prescribe, but I can't remember now which it was.

I guess my whole point is, if I can't participate in the trial, I'm thinking of asking my dr about Ampyra in hopes it could help my vision, along with my walking of course.

Thoughts?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Vision Improvements with Ampyra?

Post by CureOrBust »

I know in Australia, the company that distribute the Ampyra have a special program whereby you get the first months for free to trial it, and then every 3rd month free. You should check if there is the same offer where you are.

I have tried Ampyra (but have no real vision issues), and found it to be similar in results to what I got from compounded 4-AP which was a lot cheaper.
Loony03

Re: Vision Improvements with Ampyra?

Post by Loony03 »

Thanks for your input. I'm going to ask about a prescription in hopes that my insurance will cover it. The possible side effects (mainly seizures) do worry me a bit though.

Return to “Ampyra (Dalfampridine)”