Hesitant to start Ampyra

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Hesitant to start Ampyra

Post by Grumpster »

I am on the fence regarding starting Ampyra. I have a 60 day trial sitting at home. I am scared of the possible seizures. I have no kidney disorder and I do not take anything else besides Copaxone. My walking has been getting worse and worse, with my rt leg very stiff. I get foot drop and stumble from that. My rt leg also kicks out weirdly when walking a lot of the time. I also have balance and coordination problems. However, I am still able to push myself at times and go on long hikes or walks. Most of my problems walking are at start up, when I get up from sitting or have been standing in the same place for a long time.

So my question is are the side effects of potential seizures worth the risk and what kind of outcome should I anticipate. Certainly I do not think I will be running anywhere, but improved gait and strength would be wonderful.

Comments are welcome. Thanks!!
lalx14

Re: Hesitant to start Ampyra

Post by lalx14 »

:smile:
Hey!!
My name's Eileen; I'm Irish. Good to 'meet' you!
:-D
Now I think it's fair to assume you didn't buy the #Ampyra on-line? That it has been prescribed for you in its correct format&packaging:
(prolonged release 10mg fampridine tablets: to be taken 12 hours apart on an empty stomach; prescribed by your PCP/Consultant.)
*If you acquired this treatment in any other way-Dump it.
If from your PCP, Make an appointment to chat about your fears.
S/he is best placed to advise you.
If the medicine is the correct dosage&formula seizure possibility is limited: MS is linked with seizures anyway-sadly-but if the regimen is followed closely risk is reduced.
Wretched headache if you miss a dose.. *(sorry!! :oops:)
It's a powerful drug.
Talk to your Doctor! Soon!
:wink: :wink:
I'll be around if I can help/listen,,
Take good care!!
:-D :smile: :smile: :smile:
Grumpster
Family Elder

Re: Hesitant to start Ampyra

Post by Grumpster »

Thanks Eileen,

I got it through the manufacturer. I spoke with their Dr. about my concerns. They say it is a low percentage, but ~2% is actually pretty high. The chance of getting ITP from Campath was much less than that, but I still developed it, could have killed me.

Anyway, for now I am holding off on taking it. The good news is I got a brain and spine MRI results yesterday and no new lesions and no enhancing lesions, so hurray for that!!

Return to “Ampyra (Dalfampridine)”