Pre-filled needles -changed?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
MSdetective

Pre-filled needles -changed?

Post by MSdetective »

First time post here.

My husband was diagnosed with MS just before Christmas. We chose Avonex and did well for the first three months (the first shipment). Our mail-order drug coverage changed. The first shipment came through Tel-Drug, and we had no problems. The latest shipments are coming through Medco Accredo. These syringes look and feel different. The needle size is the same, but these latest syringes have a visible white line around the base of the needle. Additionally, the cap is soooo difficult to get off the needle. Once we attach the needle, and attempt to the cap off, the needle comes loose. We put it back together and try the cap again. Tonight it slipped and my husband stabbed himself in the finger. What a hassle. Like I said, our first 12 weeks were great. So, it's not like we don't know what we're doing. These last couple doses from the new pharmacy have been nearly impossible to assemble and open to use. The vials of medicine are fine, and we've not had any problems with the injection once we get it assembled. Just wondering if anyone else is having issues? I might give Biogen and/or Medco Accredo a call.

Thanks,
Holly
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pre-filled needles -changed?

Post by NHE »

Hi Holly,
I've never used the prefilled syringes. I use the powdered form. It takes just a minute or two to mix up, but I've never had a problem with the syringes. Some people have also reported less side effects with the powdered form though that may vary from one person to the next.

NHE
jackiejay
Family Elder

Post by jackiejay »

that's funny.....i was told by my pharmacy that the powdered form is no longer available....company had changed over to the prefilled syringes....
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pre-filled needles -changed?

Post by NHE »

jackiejay wrote:that's funny.....i was told by my pharmacy that the powdered form is no longer available....company had changed over to the prefilled syringes....
I get the powdered form of Avonex through Biogen's assistance program directly from Accredo Nova Factor via Avonex Direct Delivery. It's shipped out of Tennessee.

NHE

Return to “Avonex”