starting avonex

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
kiwee
Family Member

starting avonex

Post by kiwee »

hey all,
i am a 30 year old male, diagnosed with ms back in 2005. started on rebif and all was fine.
serono (maker of rebif) changed the formulation a few years back and i immediately started having site reactions.
1 site got infected that eventually got so bad that i had to have it drained and stuffed from the inside out to heal adequately.
the last 2 weeks i have had another 2 reactions.
my neuro. and i both agree enough is enough so i am changing to avonex in the next week or so (waiting for training).
been doing some reading of different techniques;
- ice
- upper third of the thigh
- ibuprofen
just wondering if there is anything else i should know about the drug?
thanks for your time!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: starting avonex

Post by NHE »

Hi ,
I've never used ice. I'm not sure it would help. Check out these posts if you haven't already seen them.

Injection Locations
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8349.html

Injection Technique
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-4805.html

Oh, and some people find that they have stronger side effects with the prefilled syringes as opposed to the powdered form. Some doctors don't know this, but the powdered form is still available (blame it on Biogen's local drug rep). The powdered form is prepared in a more physiological pH buffer which may be related to the reduced side effects.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

NHE
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Hi, I don't use ice either. I find if I plunge the needle into my thigh quite quickly then it doesn't hurt so much. I rotate the sites on either thigh..towards the outside of the thigh. I use either panadol or nurofen. I inject at about 11am and then start feeling 'off' from about 7pm and into the next day. I use the powdered form of Avonex. Let me know if I can help further. Smokey
kiwee
Family Member

Post by kiwee »

thanks guys!!!
more to come later.
kiwee
Family Member

Post by kiwee »

well it's been 3 weeks.
my injection time is monday afternoons.
the first 2 were a little rough (flu like symptoms) which i used advil every 6 hours, 3 times, to combat. now that it is the thrd week, the 3rd injection was easy to deal with. 2 advil and i was good.
the injections are virtually painless, not kidding! this treatment is a breeze compared to rebif.
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Good news Kiwee.....glad it's working out.
jbirdee

Post by jbirdee »

Hey Kiwee, I have been on Avonex for almost 9 months. I have tried advil for the side effects but it was not successful at making them all go away. I use 2 Aleve ( just became available in Canada, if thats where you are) one hour before injection and then I take 1 tab every 8 hours for the next 16-24 hours. I have absolutely no side effects and can actually function very well the next day with full energy. I know what works for everyone is dfferent but I thought I'd chare my experience... :D
kiwee
Family Member

Post by kiwee »

jbirdee wrote:Hey Kiwee, I have been on Avonex for almost 9 months. I have tried advil for the side effects but it was not successful at making them all go away. I use 2 Aleve ( just became available in Canada, if thats where you are) one hour before injection and then I take 1 tab every 8 hours for the next 16-24 hours. I have absolutely no side effects and can actually function very well the next day with full energy. I know what works for everyone is dfferent but I thought I'd chare my experience... :D
THANKS!!!
i am all over it!
that is awesome!

Return to “Avonex”