Genetic sensitivity to interferon-beta

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
Punchy
Family Elder

Genetic sensitivity to interferon-beta

Post by Punchy »

My father recently had a DNA profile done and one of the traits that came back was a significantly increased sensitivity to interferon beta.

"This study examined 199 patients from Spain with clinically diagnosed relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis who had received interferon beta treatment for at least two years. The authors classified patients as “non-responders” if, over the two year period of interferon beta treatment, they had two or more disease relapses, or if their Expanded Disability Status Scores (EDSS) increased by at least one point. The authors found that rs10492503 in the GPC5 gene, a SNP equivalent to rs7987675 reported by 23andMe, was significantly associated with a subject’s response to interferon beta. Compared to those with the CT genotype, subjects with the CC genotype had 2.6 times higher odds of responding to interferon beta therapy, while subjects with the TT genotype had 2.6 times lower odds of responding. This study replicated the results of a very similar study of 285 relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients from Spain and France."

My father scored a CC gentoype, which is 2.6 times higher odds of responding to interferon beta.

Interesting! I realize this is my father's profile, not mine, that these are odds, not guarantees, and that there is debate about the genetic influence in MS. I took Rebif for one year, but stopped because the side-effects were incredibly difficult for me. There were days I couldn't get out of bed. That said, I had a relapse after being on the drug for 10 months.

Does anyone know more about this genotype, or of any other studies?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Genetic sensitivity to interferon-beta

Post by Scott1 »

I'm not sure what it means, if anything. Does your father have MS as well?
Do you know what they mean by "respond"?

I think this might help with the basic explanation-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplotype

Regards