Temporarily stopping Avonex

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
MSHusbandUK

Temporarily stopping Avonex

Post by MSHusbandUK »

Hi all,

my wife has been taking Avonex since 1999. In that time she's slowly gone from R-R to secondary. Currently the Avonex is well tolerated. However, recently we've had a couple of nasty incidents, where a UTI has flared up in a couple of hours, leading to a fever of 104. Last time, A&E doctor commented that the Avonex will mean infections can start unnoticed - until it's too late.

Has anyone temporarily stopped Avonex ? Say for a month ? What was your experience.

thanks in advance all. Now I've found this forum, I might post a lot more.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Temporarily stopping Avonex

Post by NHE »

MSHusbandUK wrote:Has anyone temporarily stopped Avonex ? Say for a month ? What was your experience.
Yes. The side effects were worse when I restarted Avonex.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Temporarily stopping Avonex

Post by lyndacarol »

MSHusbandUK wrote: thanks in advance all. Now I've found this forum, I might post a lot more.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Please do join us in posting. We are good listeners; we are happy to share our experiences and opinions, we look forward to hearing yours.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"