Hearing a lot of negativity with Avonex?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
Alabama

Hearing a lot of negativity with Avonex?

Post by Alabama »

I am a recent user of Avonex (6 Mths) and I am very pleased with the results today. I did have severe attacks of pain ( seizures ) in my right side, the second and third months of its use. My Neurologist stated it was a side effect some users get and I really got it bad. The seizures happened two or three times a week during that time.
All of a sudden there were no more seizures (side effects). My walking/balance has improved so that I no longer use a walker or cane. My Neurologist suggested that I may want to take a an alternate pill instead of my current Avonex Pen injection. I like the Avonex today and did not want to change. I am very pleased with Avonex.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Hearing a lot of negativity with Avonex?

Post by lyndacarol »

Alabama wrote:I am a recent user of Avonex (6 Mths) and I am very pleased with the results today. I did have severe attacks of pain ( seizures ) in my right side, the second and third months of its use. My Neurologist stated it was a side effect some users get and I really got it bad. The seizures happened two or three times a week during that time.
All of a sudden there were no more seizures (side effects). My walking/balance has improved so that I no longer use a walker or cane. My Neurologist suggested that I may want to take a an alternate pill instead of my current Avonex Pen injection. I like the Avonex today and did not want to change. I am very pleased with Avonex.
Hi, Alabama, and welcome to ThisIsMS. I apologize that I did not respond on behalf of all of us when you first posted a month ago.

I have taken a recent interest in the possibility that many people diagnosed with MS may have a vitamin B12 deficiency. In a book I am reading, the authors recommend that doctors should test every patient who presents with neurological symptoms (The authors even write that not to test is even negligence!). I wonder if your GP or neurologist ordered blood tests to rule out a B12 deficiency.

Blood clots and even STROKES can happen because of B12 deficiency. If you are tested and found to have a deficiency, treatment amounts to about $40 per YEAR (as opposed to MS medication which can be $4000 per MONTH). I think it is definitely something worth all of us checking out.
Pixiepie

Re: Hearing a lot of negativity with Avonex?

Post by Pixiepie »

Diagnosed March 2014 and started on Avonex pre filled syringes June 2014. I inject 09:30 and work my way through the day. Slight headache but I'm not sure if that's due to the hot weather at the moment or a side effect. Aside from that, no side effects. Not medicating at all and appears to be going well. Early days I know but hopeful that things will continue this way.

Return to “Avonex”