Nose bleeds

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
Tbone
Family Member

Nose bleeds

Post by Tbone »

I was just wondering if anyone has had spontaneous nose bleeds while on Avonex. Its been 3 months on avonex and in the past 2 weeks I have had spontaneous nose bleeds. Not regular nose bleeds, but ones that flow at a high rate and for a long time (3 to 5 minutes). 2 weeks ago while eating supper I had to go and take care of this inconvenience, and today while a client was in my office (really embarassing, I blamed it on the air in my office). Furthermore, about 2 months ago I got a cut on my arm that bled for a really long time and was impossible to stop from bleeding, and the texture of the blood was watery

The only new variables lately are about 3 to 4 weeks ago I started taking lecithin and R-lipoic acid pills. I was wondering if anyone else had anything like this occur while taking avonex or r-lipoic acid (I think this one is more of a suspect than the lecithin).

Thanks in advance,
Ted
lyndacarol
Family Elder

To Tbone

Post by lyndacarol »

I also take R lipoic acid and have not had the problem you describe. Many supplements have anti-clotting or bloodthinning properties: Vitamin E, fish oil, gingko biloba come to mind. Perhaps another person here knows if R-lipoic acid falls into this group, as well.
Tbone
Family Member

Post by Tbone »

Wow, that was fast! I just posted like 4 mins ago...

Just in case, I thought maybe I should list everything I'm taking. Everyday I take 4 grams of omega-3 from fish oils, 1 gram of Glucosamine sulfate, a multi-vitamin (Centrum performance), a calcium & magnesium with vitamin D capsule, 50mg of R-lipoic and 2.4 grams of lecithin... after eating a handful of pills im usually not hungry anymore!

It's just been really odd. Thank you for your reply. Maybe some light will be shed by others that may post after seeing this thread?

Take care,
Ted
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Nose bleeds

Post by NHE »

I had a bad nose bleed years ago before I was on Avonex and also more recently after having been on Avonex for ~7 years. Both nose bleeds were very similar, i.e., dripping like a bad leaky faucet as you described. In both cases I was overly tired. The first incident happened while I was in college working in the computer lab one night and the other time happened later in the evening after I had been up the entire preceding night (I know, I'm not supposed to physically stress my body out by depriving it of sleep but sometimes old patterns are hard to break). Anyways, I take both fish oil and r-lipoic acid as well as natural vitamin E. I started these supplements after I was diagnosed with MS so they weren't a factor with the first nose bleed. I used to have bad allergies especially to pollen however these haven't been much of a problem for me anymore since I've been on Avonex. I used to get nose bleeds when I took decongestants during successive days so I have to be careful to take allergy medicine with an antihistamine when my allergies are a problem. I actually attribute both nose bleeds to being overtired (my blood pressure was likely all out of whack especially after being up the prior night when the second incident occurred) so I don't suspect the supplements I take at this time and the nose bleed has not reoccurred. Anyways, if you continue to have bleeding problems you should most certainly see a doctor and get your blood tested. Though one thing to keep in mind is that different brands of supplements will have different additives so it might be that the supplements are a problem, just not the active ingredient. Still, getting your blood tested sounds like the best course of action if you're concerned about the nose bleeds.

NHE
Tbone
Family Member

Post by Tbone »

Thanks NHE,

I may go see my doctor before my next scheduled visit in February If I have the time. It could be from exhaustion/stress. Been very busy at work lately with the end the the 2007 fiscal year and entering 2008.

Im going to wait a little bit though. See if I have any other nose bleeds over the next month.

Return to “Avonex”