Injecting in the arm

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
Hanhie

Injecting in the arm

Post by Hanhie »

I was just wondering, for people who inject in the upper arm, does it hurt? I have been thinking of doing this but am a bit worried of it hurting? ( After almost 4years, I still cannot do it myself)

I'm starting to notice very slight scarring on my thighs so was abit worried of permanently damaging/scarring muscle tissue.

Thank you
H
Inquiz

Injecting in the arm

Post by Inquiz »

Hi Hanhie

I just joined this forum this evening and came across this post. I was recently diagnosed (Apr) and began Avonex in May. I started feeling the paranoia of injecting in one spot (thighs) early on and have started mixing it up with my upper arms. To answer your question, in my experience, the actual injection does hurt a bit more than in the thighs. Once the injection is over typically I'm fine. I say typically because last weeks injection site is still very visibly bruised so I do need to inquire about that. I wouldn't discourage the idea of trying it if not for just one dose.

I hope this helps :)
fordtaurus2000

Post by fordtaurus2000 »

I like my shot in the arm. IN the thigh hurts to damn much. I dont even feel it in my arm anymore.
Jenny72

Re: Injecting in the arm

Post by Jenny72 »

I only give myself avonex in my thighs. I just rotate around to different spots. I noticed when I took it in my deltoid (upper arm) that I had the full blown flu-like symptoms - fever of 103, chills that had the bed shaking, and horrible body aches. It was definitely the worst reaction ever. When I talked to my avonex nurse about it, she said that she recommends only doing the arm shots after you've been on it for at least 6 months. Not sure why, but probably something to do with it being a smaller muscle and changing the absorption. Good luck with whatever you decide.
nickbits

Re: Injecting in the arm

Post by nickbits »

I did arm injections for the last 2 weeks with no issues.

But I've only been on Avonex for 2 months.

In a way they are better since ripping off the bandaid doesn't hurt (no hair).

Return to “Avonex”