MS_ Veterans - Service Connected Disability

A place for discussion related to MS and veterans.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS_ Veterans - Service Connected Disability

Post by NHE »

Hi Rich,
Welcome to ThisIsMS!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

!! What do I do? Honorably discharged from the Army in 1987 and within 3 years, started having symptoms of what was eventually diagnosed as MS in 1996. Numbness and tingling I believed to be just a pinched nerve, were treated by chiropractors. Years of this reoccurring problem Finally led me to getting an EMG, which showed I had no pinched nerves. Finally went to neurologist and was diagnosed with RRMS. All that background to ask this question. How do I find these old medical records, to show a pattern and provide proof, when hospitals do not keep records back that far?
Boudreaux
Getting to Know You...

Post by Boudreaux »

Wheelz wrote:!! What do I do? Honorably discharged from the Army in 1987 and within 3 years, started having symptoms of what was eventually diagnosed as MS in 1996. Numbness and tingling I believed to be just a pinched nerve, were treated by chiropractors. Years of this reoccurring problem Finally led me to getting an EMG, which showed I had no pinched nerves. Finally went to neurologist and was diagnosed with RRMS. All that background to ask this question. How do I find these old medical records, to show a pattern and provide proof, when hospitals do not keep records back that far?
You need to get ahold of the records that show your symptoms at 3 years out. See if you county has a Veterans Service Officer that can help you out. Without the records you have no link to diagnosis within the 7 year window.
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

I served in the Australian army (infantry) during the Vietnam War era. Looking back, it was personally a rewarding experience of questionable purpose. My PPMS developed 6 years after discharge. I suspect that some incidents during my service and/or inoculations may have contributed to my condition. The problem is that it is difficult to establish a connection, the further we move away from that time. Also the War was politically unpopular in society so there has never been any proaction to help service personnel from that era.
Lois

Post by Lois »

I married to a Retired Veteran Marine, he retired in 1993, but he wasn't diagnosed with MS until 2008, but in 1997, he was told he was having cerebral strokes, he also had one in 1999, and in 2001, and then in 2008. His Dr. sent him to a neurologist who though MRI and spinal tap, diagnosed him with MS. My husband has no family members who have ever had MS, so we know it's not past down through the genes. Through his military years he was station at several bases that had closed due to chemical dumping and chemicals that he was exposed to during and doing his job. Has there been any proofs to chemicals causing MS, and also beings he was being diagnosed wrong do we have a case.
Romolla

Post by Romolla »

I am a vietnam veterans daughter who was diagnose with Multiple sclerosis and my sister has it also they say it not service connections. My dad has agent Orange .
Lois

Post by Lois »

Hi my name is Lois, my Husband was a Marine from 1972 to 1993, he worked on A4’s, F18, and T39. His signs of MS started In 1981, but he was not diagnosed until 2008. I’m trying to get VA disability but have to get military connection, which I have found the use of trichloroethane and other solvents used to clean aircraft parts. Cause or maybe a trigger of MS. I was wondering if there others that used this chemical and was able to get VA connection.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Lois wrote:Hi my name is Lois, my Husband was a Marine from 1972 to 1993, he worked on A4’s, F18, and T39. His signs of MS started In 1981, but he was not diagnosed until 2008. I’m trying to get VA disability but have to get military connection, which I have found the use of trichloroethane and other solvents used to clean aircraft parts. Cause or maybe a trigger of MS. I was wondering if there others that used this chemical and was able to get VA connection.
Hi Lois,
You may be interested in the following paper discussing organic solvents and MS risk.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p254561
Golgotha

Post by Golgotha »

I realize this is a dated post but I couldn't resist commenting on this:
lifeisgood wrote:MS has been recently 'deemed' a service connected disability
I was diagnosed a year or two after getting out of the Army. My symptoms started in the military but as a platoon sergeant I couldn't be sick so there was only a couple of "sick calls" handled by local medics. No neurological workups, nothing close.

But yet in the late 1980s I was listed as service-connected.

That initial 30% rating for MS qualified me for voc rehab which I thought was great since it meant the VA paid for my bachelor's degree.