BG-12 and LDN?

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
thefireorgan

BG-12 and LDN?

Post by thefireorgan »

Thoughts? I know that BG-12 is thought to increase Th2 cells thereby balancing out with Th1 cells and I believe I have read that LDN has a similar effect in increasing Th2 cells (please, correct me if I'm wrong, it's a while since I read it).
To me (my unscientific intuitive speculation of course) it seems that these two drugs would have a complimentary, synergistic effect.
I ask because I am currently taking LDN with what I believe to be very beneficial effects (no relapse or new symptoms for about a year, improvement in existing symptoms) and I have great interest and hope for getting on BG-12 when it comes out. Of course, I want to know if I will have to stop taking LDN if I get on the BG-12.
Last edited by thefireorgan on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: BG-12 and LDN?

Post by NHE »

thefireorgan wrote:I know that BG-12 is thought to reduce Th2 cells thereby balancing out with Th1 cells and I believe I have read that LDN has a similar effect in increasing Th1 cells
I'm not certain about LDN's effect, but I think that the opposite is true of BG-12. I believe that it increases Th2 and reduces Th1.

Fumarates improve psoriasis and multiple sclerosis by inducing type II dendritic cells.
J Exp Med. 2011 Oct 24;208(11):2291-303. Epub 2011 Oct 10.
  • Fumarates improve multiple sclerosis (MS) and psoriasis, two diseases in which both IL-12 and IL-23 promote pathogenic T helper (Th) cell differentiation. However, both diseases show opposing responses to most established therapies. First, we show in humans that fumarate treatment induces IL-4-producing Th2 cells in vivo and generates type II dendritic cells (DCs) that produce IL-10 instead of IL-12 and IL-23. In mice, fumarates also generate type II DCs that induce IL-4-producing Th2 cells in vitro and in vivo and protect mice from experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Type II DCs result from fumarate-induced glutathione (GSH) depletion, followed by increased hemoxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression and impaired STAT1 phosphorylation. Induced HO-1 is cleaved, whereupon the N-terminal fragment of HO-1 translocates into the nucleus and interacts with AP-1 and NF-κB sites of the IL-23p19 promoter. This interaction prevents IL-23p19 transcription without affecting IL-12p35, whereas STAT1 inactivation prevents IL-12p35 transcription without affecting IL-23p19. As a consequence, GSH depletion by small molecules such as fumarates induces type II DCs in mice and in humans that ameliorate inflammatory autoimmune diseases. This therapeutic approach improves Th1- and Th17-mediated autoimmune diseases such as psoriasis and MS by interfering with IL-12 and IL-23 production.
NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Also see...

Fumaric Acid and its Esters: An Emerging Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Curr Neuropharmacol. 2009 March; 7(1): 60–64.
Effect of FAE on T-Cells
One of the first observations during the application of Fumaderm® in psoriasis was the effect on T-cells. Initial studies revealed a decrease of T-cells in nearly all treated patients [2]. This finding was well in line with an immunohistochemical study that showed a reduction of CD4+-cells by half [5] in the epidermal inflammatory infiltrate. Subsequent in vitro studies confirmed the capability of DMF to induce apoptosis in human T-cells [26]. Upon analysis of the cytokine production in more detail, de Jong et al. [6] reported that MMF increased the production of the “TH2” cytokines interleukin (IL)-4 and IL-5 in stimulated T-cells without having an effect on the “TH1” cytokine interferon gamma (IFN-γ), the IL-2 production, or the proliferation of T-cells. In another study, stimulated CD4+CD45RO+ memory T-cells again showed an increased secretion of IL-4 and IL-5 after treatment with MMF. Taken together, these findings suggest that FAE shift the cytokine profile from a “TH1” to a “TH2” profile. This effect of FAE on the expression of cytokines may also apply to other cell types than T-cells.
thefireorgan

Post by thefireorgan »

Yes, I see. I knew I was going to mix that one up! Anyways, the original idea and question still stand. I just mixed up Th1 with Th2.
KikiT
Family Member

Post by KikiT »

I have been on LDN for 10yrs and have been stable since starting it.(SecPMS). Wish I had started before my legs were affected. I too would like to
know if the Tecfidera can be taken with LDN or should XYMOGEN or Protandim be taken instead as an addition to LDN use?

Return to “Tecfidera (BG-12, Dimethyl fumarate)”