My side effects on Tecfidera

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
Tif
Family Elder

My side effects on Tecfidera

Post by Tif »

I started tecfidera on April 23rd. I've had increased overall weakness, walking is worse, extremely fatigued, blurry vision (noticed couldn't read bottom of screen), flushing, off balance more so, I'm hearing a loud high pitched noise (pop my ears to lessen), my ears are 'plugged' all of the time and feelings of anger. Anyone else having this many or similar? Thanks.
xpsychiatricmd
Family Member

Re: My side effects on Tecfidera

Post by xpsychiatricmd »

Extreme fatigue, sleepiness and not sharp cognitively. Even taking a stimulant.
Ladymac
Family Elder

Post by Ladymac »

Hi Y'all,

deleted
Blessings,

Ladymac
RRMS diagnosed 2006
Tecfidera Started April 2013
:)
jennieo

Post by jennieo »

Tif your side effects are just like mine. I thought maybe it was just me. I knew I wasn't crazy. Thanks for sharing.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi Jennie,
Did you go off of it yet or will you stay on it? Some of these 'meds' make me so sick, actually, all of them have made me feel and do worse....

What's it doing to you?
Tiff
Lucky2be

Post by Lucky2be »

Flushing is a normal side effect. My neuro told me to have the Tecfidera towards the end of a meal. I have oatmeal and an egg for breakfast and take the Tecfidera at the last few bites and I get absolutely no GI side effects. I did gain weight but I never used to eat a full breakfast or a late night snack so its in a way due to Tecfidera but indirectly.
I get tinnitus randomly since being on it too. High pitched but comes and goes. Maybe this is just an MS symptom and not due to the drug?

***i just read that changes need to be reported to dr due to the risk of TML brain virus.
PACyclist

Post by PACyclist »

Been on Tecfidera for about 2 years and have noticed more and more fatigue since that time. I find myself falling asleep on the sofa in the evening not long after my second dose. Mornings are a struggle to get up for work. It's gotten really bad and wasn't sure of a connection to the medicine until I read other people's experiences. This was not an issue the 10 years I was on Copaxone. I wanted to get away from injections so I decided to give Tecfidera a try but I'm having second thoughts. It really sucks. By the time the weekend comes I'm totally exhausted and sleep most of Saturday. Now the weather is getting nice and I'd rather be biking. To be fair to Biogen, it may just be related to my MS. But I'm going to stop taking the Tecfidera for a few days and then switch back to Copaxone. I'll report back at a later time on my fatigue status.
LiseN

Post by LiseN »

Chiming in very late--but I have been taking Tecfidera for two months and I just decided last night that was ENOUGH. I have lost half my hair. I have felt bloated, irritable, exhausted and foggy-headed. Having to take so many other meds just to counter the Tec side-effects isn't worth it…but it's the hair and now my LEGS (heaviness, spasticity--problems I never had before) that have made me decide to stop this drug. It feels toxic to me. Seriously, taking Tecfidera is making me feel disabled, when I was really quite fine before.
Lucky2be

Post by Lucky2be »

Copaxone made me feel like a was disabled, my whole life revolved around the side effects. You have to find what's right for you and your body. All of these drugs are toxic.
Re: hair loss, I've had that too. Taking biotin. I thought it was due to the culmination of stress, as it got really bad coming out in chunks when I stopped Copaxone and continued after starting Tecfidera (6 week lapse). Stopped once I started taking biotin and using a laser comb. I'm still on Tecfidera and hair is growing back. Everyone is different : /
Lucky to be here! Dx 6/2014 at 29. Tecfidera since 10/2014.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Boy do I understand the 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH' sentiment! I wish the best for you.
Zenmasta

Re: Interfearons and MS

Post by Zenmasta »

Well I been on tecfidera for a week now and I went from walking bumped back down to my granny walker wtf. I feel so weak and fatigue and don't feel like doing anything other than lay in bed. Just don't see the befits of that. I rather go back to my exercise and feel strong and put on muscle gains for my quest to be strongest person with MS and this is messing up all my hard work for something that's suopoose to help me. :-/
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Have you stopped taking it?
I absolutely know how you feel-
Zenmasta wrote:Well I been on tecfidera for a week now and I went from walking bumped back down to my granny walker wtf. I feel so weak and fatigue and don't feel like doing anything other than lay in bed. Just don't see the befits of that. I rather go back to my exercise and feel strong and put on muscle gains for my quest to be strongest person with MS and this is messing up all my hard work for something that's suopoose to help me. :-/
Why are theses "meds" making us worse? I didn't want to get out of bed either, I felt so sick...I hope you're doing better.