Alcohol and Tecfidera

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
ZeroCool32

Alcohol and Tecfidera

Post by ZeroCool32 »

Dear all,

I got a question about tecfidera. I'm from germany and Tecfidera was approved in Germany few months ago. My doctor told me that the americans use it since few years.
I can't find answears in german forums because there is not enough experience.

My question is: Is it possible to drink some beer after work and few hours later i can take tecfidera ? Or is that inadvisable ? My doctor says its possible as long the alcohol content is not more then 30%. But what do you people do if you go to a party ? Do you leave tecfidera for this evening or do you take it together with alcohol ?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Best regards
Marcel
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Alcohol and Tecfidera

Post by NHE »

ZeroCool32 wrote:I got a question about tecfidera. I'm from germany and Tecfidera was approved in Germany few months ago. My doctor told me that the americans use it since few years.
I can't find answears in german forums because there is not enough experience.

My question is: Is it possible to drink some beer after work and few hours later i can take tecfidera ? Or is that inadvisable ? My doctor says its possible as long the alcohol content is not more then 30%. But what do you people do if you go to a party ? Do you leave tecfidera for this evening or do you take it together with alcohol ?
I can't answer your question about alcohol, but I can tell you that Tecfidera was approved in the US on March 27, 2013 so it's only been one year. http://www.drugs.com/history/tecfidera.html
kromer

Post by kromer »

I have been taking Tecfidera for 10 months and drink moderately. I have never skipped a dose because of it. But I never have had the intestinal distress that many experience.
Hats71

Post by Hats71 »

First of all I have to say I think you're really lucky that you're still able to work with this obnoxious disease! Okay yeah I know it sounds stupid to say you're lucky to work but I had to quit 10 years ago DT the ensuing BS. I just recently started taking Tecfidera and as long as I eat something with the fat and a protein with it I don't really have any side effects. Hi very often lost my medicine down with a beer or a drink or glass of wine. I recently had a night where I had several drinks and the only side effects I had was a small hangover in the morning!
rancholulu
Getting to Know You...

Post by rancholulu »

I've tried to stick with wine when having any alcohol at all. I'm 3 weeks in to my Tecfidera treatment and before starting, my doctor advised I should only have one glass of wine a week. I definitely have at least 2 a week, but I assume he knew I would. ;) I do not skip dosage. My understanding is, that's the worst thing you could do if you want it to be effective.
pushingForward
Family Member

Post by pushingForward »

On Tecfidera for 2 months now. I have 2 - 5 glasses a week. Mostly red wine, occasional gluten free beer. No issues.