Joint Pain

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
deemaxx1

Joint Pain

Post by deemaxx1 »

Hi everyone, new to the board but not MS. I had been taking Copaxone since I was diagnosed in 2006. But I've recently began taking Tecfidera twice a day. I've had some flushing in the beginning and I learned to take the meds w food. Otherwise I will have terrible stomach pain. But my main issue seems to be this joint pain. I've never had it before but maybe a month into taking this I started having pain in my hips. That lasted just a couple of weeks then it started in my left shoulder. That lasted a couple of months. Now it's my right shoulder. They cannot find anything to explain this on my Xrays but I am in physical therapy. Has anyone else experienced this?
LUCASDON

Re: Joint Pain

Post by LUCASDON »

I am also experiencing severe joint pain. Some days I can't walk. Having really bad day today. Both knees are really bad.

Diagnosed in 1989 and have tried most MS therapies. I started Tecfidera approx a yealr ago. Currently working with my family doctor, neurologist and rheumatologist.

When I first started with the joint pain in 2014 my blood work showed positive bands for Lymes Disease. Prior to that new diagnosis I thought the joint pain was from the Tecfidera cause that was the only new medication I recently started.

I take a low dose aspirin which helps with the flushing episodes and I usually eat when taking the medication and that helps with the stomach issues.

I have noticed a 10 lb weight gain over the last 3 months. I thought it was due to not being able to exercise cause of the severe joint pain. Now I'm not so sure about that. I think it may be related to Tecfidera.

My Rheumatologist started me on 50mg of Celebrex which helped for a while. She recently increased my dose to 100 mg. in the beginning thay also helped but has become ineffective.

Have appt first week in July to see if we can figure out what is causing the joint pain. My family doctor ruled out gout which has similar joint pain/side effects.

If my team of doctors can't come up with explanation I plan on stopping the Tecfidera to see if the joint pain decreases.

Donna
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

LUCASDON wrote:I am also experiencing severe joint pain. Some days I can't walk. Having really bad day today. Both knees are really bad.

Diagnosed in 1989 and have tried most MS therapies. I started Tecfidera approx a yealr ago. Currently working with my family doctor, neurologist and rheumatologist.

When I first started with the joint pain in 2014 my blood work showed positive bands for Lymes Disease. Prior to that new diagnosis I thought the joint pain was from the Tecfidera cause that was the only new medication I recently started.

I take a low dose aspirin which helps with the flushing episodes and I usually eat when taking the medication and that helps with the stomach issues.

I have noticed a 10 lb weight gain over the last 3 months. I thought it was due to not being able to exercise cause of the severe joint pain. Now I'm not so sure about that. I think it may be related to Tecfidera.

My Rheumatologist started me on 50mg of Celebrex which helped for a while. She recently increased my dose to 100 mg. in the beginning thay also helped but has become ineffective.

Have appt first week in July to see if we can figure out what is causing the joint pain. My family doctor ruled out gout which has similar joint pain/side effects.

If my team of doctors can't come up with explanation I plan on stopping the Tecfidera to see if the joint pain decreases.

Donna
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Donna (LUCASDON). Your investigation of the cause of your joint pain will, undoubtedly, be useful to those here who also experience it.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Donna
Have you been treated for the Lyme diseases? And/or co-infections? Lyme causes joint pain.
T