Tecfidera and certain foods causing flushing

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
BLD

Tecfidera and certain foods causing flushing

Post by BLD »

Has anybody experienced flushing from certain foods such as tomato sauce or lemonade? I think it is the acid in these foods that is causing me to flare up. Could be nitrates as well. I had some summer sausage and it seemed to cause a flare up. Odd!
Frederic

Re: Tecfidera and certain foods causing flushing

Post by Frederic »

Hi BLD,
I've been on Tecfidera for 3 months now. First couple of months I needed to have a good nutritious meal with a good fat content to avoid flushing. Started eating a heavier breakfast with fried eggs or an omelette as opposed to my usual porridge and the flushing has greatly reduced. Tomato sauces have never been an issue - don't drink lemonade but fresh lemons are not an issue.
Even if I miss breakfast, I generally don't flush now but I'm noticing that I have more proteins at breakfast compared to a carbs focus before.
What I've found important is to keep very regular with the dose times (I am between 7-8am), and keep a 12 hr space between the doses (I eat dinner 7-8PM).
If I ever do flush, it is pretty much due to an increase in caffeine, or if I have had some alcohol - and I only ever have the occasional glass of red wine with dinner.
I think that I've become more accustomed to the medication as time has gone by - all good for the moment.
Hope your flushing's calmed down..
Cheers
Fred