How similar are Tecfidera and Fumaderm?

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

How similar are Tecfidera and Fumaderm?

Post by mmpetunia »

I am asking because I have plans to do extensive traveling abroad and I am scratching my head as to how I might continue to take DMD's while I am gone. I would have to maintain an insurance policy stateside while I am gone to have it covered by insurance and that simply isn't possible. I do plan to have travel insurance but they do not cover pre-existing conditions. I was thinking if Tec and Fumaderm are essentially the same medication then maybe I can purchase some while traveling to maintain my health. There is no way I can afford to purchase Tec, that's for sure! I don't want to be off medication while traveling-- a relapse would be a swift end to my plans, not to mention a real risk of permanent damage to my brain is something I would like to avoid. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How similar are Tecfidera and Fumaderm?

Post by NHE »

Hi mmpetunia,
How long will you be traveling? Have you checked with your doctors office yet? Perhaps they can offer you some assistance.

NHE
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Re: How similar are Tecfidera and Fumaderm?

Post by mmpetunia »

I will be traveling about a year. I haven't talked with my doc yet. I'm not sure what she can suggest for meds since I won't have insurance coverage.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com