Just started Tecfidera

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
glovedo

Just started Tecfidera

Post by glovedo »

I was officially diagnosed with MS Sept. 26 2016. At that appointment my doctor and I decided the first thing I would try is Tecfidera. On 9/27 I got a call from Biogen, on 9/28 I got a call from my specialty pharmacy, and on 10/3 (yes, 1 week later) my starter pack was delivered to my front door. This process was amazing! Everything was taken care of for me, Biogen haggled with my insurance company then covered the rest of the payment, set everything up with the specialty pharmacy, I literally did not have to do anything. My brother has RA and his experience was MUCH different. He has to go apply for a grant monthly or something like that. So that part of using Tecfidera has been an A+ for me.

I came here and read all about it and read the prescribing info. I saw the recommendation for baby aspirin and fatty foods (trying to lose weight) but decided to try and cause as little change to my life as possible. I did absolutely nothing special for my first dose (120mg) and it was not pleasant at all. My face turned BRIGHT red, I felt like my skin was on fire and itchy, and it sounds weird but I could feel my heartbeat in my face... This happened about 2 hours after I took the medicine and lasted about 2.5-3 hours. I was ready to send it back to them with a "thanks but no thanks" letter. I kept going and since that first dose I have no problems at all... Life as normal just have to remember to take them. :) I am on day 5 right now and will go up to the 240mg dose in just a few days. Interested to see what that will bring! I will keep updating this thing (when I remember).
Margarita
Getting to Know You...

Re: Just started Tecfidera

Post by Margarita »

Good luck to you!:)