BG-12 or fumaric acid anyone ???

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
Smilingface
Family Elder

BG-12 or fumaric acid anyone ???

Post by Smilingface »

I've been taking fumaric acid 240mg 3x a day for four months to treat PPMS. I feel like something positive is happening to my immune system, I'm just not sure what. Does anyone know what the mechanism of BG-12 is supposed to be? Any one in a trial??
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Hi Smilingface,
I don't use BG-12 and don't know anyone who has but I looked it up last night and it seems that it's been around since the 1940's, has long been used for psoriasis, has a good safety record, but it's mode of action seems to have researchers mystified. Some think it alters the TH1/TH2 balance.

Considering that safety is the number one concern and that it does seem to have a positive effect on MS, not a bad clinical trial to be enrolled in.

Bob
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Smilingface,

is the 3x240mg dose you are taking the dose that is used in the Phase-III MS trial? Is it possible to buy fumaric acid online or in pharmacies?

If so is the BG-12 MS drug really the same thing ?
In that case it would be impossible to get a patent on it and so economicaly it would not be woth investigating it for Biogen Idec.

Thanks

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Hi Frank,

I really don't think you would want to take something like that in your own hands, even if you could acquire it. Even though something might have proven safe when used cautiously and properly, us laypeople could very easily make a dangerous or fatal miscalculation or misjudgment when attempting to take a treatment into our own hands.

Bob
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Thanks Lyon.

Currently I dont plan to use it. But I think its valuable to know about potential options.

If the fumarc acid everyone can buy would be the same as BG-12 and you know the treatment regime that is used for MS, then I think together with ones neuro it would be possible to use it, under given circumstances.

Of course one has to be informed about the possible sideeffects, but it has been used for Psoriasis for some time. On the first glance the possible sideeffects seem to be mild to moderate.

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Good point Frank. I'll continue to try to find out if BG-12 is nothing more than Fumeric acid.

The reason I mentioned what I did in the last post was because a psoriasis abstract I read earlier tonight mentioned health problems due to long term use and turned around and said that Fumeric acid was "safe" for long term use, so I don't know what's going on.

This webpage I just found seems to make things a little more clear http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/fum ... sters.html

Bob
Smilingface
Family Elder

Bg-12

Post by Smilingface »

BG-12 is a derivative of fumaric acid. Slight alteration in its structure from fumaric acid was made by Fumapharm-AG and bought by Biogen Idec as BG-12. Fumaric Acid is prescribed by my neurologist and compounded by my pharmacy. I have had no side effects all of which were discussed by my neurologist before I started taking the drug. The dose of 240mg TID was one of the doses in the phase II trial and the one that was recommended for me.
It certainly is speculative treatment but it is inexpensive, well tolerated and something is making me feel better! The other disease modifying treatment I am on is Wheldon Antibiotic Protocol.