New oral MS drug may reduce relapses in MS patients

Aubagio is an oral treatment approved for MS.
MSUK
Family Elder

New oral MS drug may reduce relapses in MS patients

Post by MSUK »

People with multiple sclerosis (MS) may soon have a second needle-free option to control their disease.

Last year, the FDA approved the first disease-modifying pill, a drug called Gilenya, to treat MS.

Now a new study shows that a different drug, a once-daily pill called teriflunomide, may also slow the progression of the neurological disease and its disabling attacks better than a placebo.

Currently, most of the disease-modifying drugs that treat MS are given by injection or intravenous infusion.

"Some patients have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for effective and safe oral medications," says researcher Jerry S. Wolinsky, MD, a professor of neurology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. Others with MS have been giving themselves regular injections for more than a decade.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/2933
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: New oral MS drug may reduce relapses in MS patients

Post by HarryZ »

Hmmm...about 20% of the patients dropped out of the trial but we aren't told as to when and why. And I can only guess that the data from these 20% would not be included in the overall data of the study.

The 31% reduced progression risk number over placebo looks pretty much the same as the CRABs. Not overly exciting but if one can get the same efficacy without having to inject, then that would be a plus.

Haven't seen anything about the cost but I would suspect a lot more expensive than the CRABs.

Harry
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

My neuro thinks the oral drugs (Gilenya) has a much hire risk of causing cancer than the injectables. Have any of you guys heard this?
Marcia
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

ssmme wrote:My neuro thinks the oral drugs (Gilenya) has a much hire risk of causing cancer than the injectables. Have any of you guys heard this?
I've heard that rumor on a couple of websites but nothing official. Also heard that this drug has a lot of nasty side effects but again, nothing official.

Harry