Not (yet) diagnosed, but we're still searching.

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Not (yet) diagnosed, but we're still searching.

Post by jimmylegs »

wow what a lovely doc you have :S at least the tests are showing something you can't be faking!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
friendgirl
Family Member

Post by friendgirl »

she lectured me about my weight until i started sobbing, and then kept going. i have since relapsed into my eating disorder again. (i think i'm going to ask her to stop discussing my weight with me until she learns some basic fucking sensitivity)
here's the thing. i'm going to get a cane and a shower chair as soon as i can, and here's why.
it's documented that i've been complaining about balance problems. she says i'm faking it. i'm
really
really
not
faking
it.
i think i need to take my healthcare into my own hands and realize that my own safety is a bit more important than her opinion.
my safety while slipping and falling in the shower is not an imagined issue.
my balance problems walking around are not an imagined issue.
i've decided i don't need her permission to act on this, especially if her excuse is 'you seem to be faking it.'
it's clear to me that i'm not, and to make myself feel better i'm going to take things into my own hands.
friendgirl
Family Member

Post by friendgirl »

i'm starting to think i need a different opinion. my doctor is saying my spine is eroding because i'm fat. all my research is saying that it might be my immune system and it could be linked to a few disorders, all of which are very serious.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i suspect the various issues are interconnected. fortunately there appears to be plenty of research out there to help (listed below).

if you can fill up on healthy, anti-inflammatory, low-GI whole foods, i would think you`d start to see improvements across the board.

fyi if it helps any, certain nutritional supplements can help combat cravings, eg chromium and magnesium.

chromium (NOT the erin brokovitch kind)
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... oodsources
"Concentrated foods sources of chromium include onions, tomatoes, brewer's yeast, oysters, whole grains, bran cereals, and potatoes. Many people do not get enough chromium in their diet due to food processing methods that remove the naturally occuring chromium in commonly consumed foods."

magnesium
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... oodsources
"Excellent sources of magnesium include Swiss chard and spinach."

also fyi: research linking obesity and spinal degeneration, balance, memory, inflammation and immune dysfunction:

Disc degeneration of the lumbar spine in relation to overweight
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15917859
"The study provides evidence that the BMI above 25 kg/m(2) increases the risk of lumbar disc degeneration. Overweight at young age seems to be particularly detrimental"

Balance Control and Balance Recovery in Obesity
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 012-0018-7
"...increased body mass produces anteroposterior instability in both genders..."

Obesity is associated with memory deficits in young and middle-aged adults.
http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/1680173 ... HtYASYMS.0
"obese individuals had poorer memory performance when comparing persons across the adult lifespan (age 21-82 yr), but also when examining only younger and middle-aged adults (age 21-50 yr). Regression analyses found no evidence of an interaction between BMI and age on any memory variable, suggesting the relationship between BMI and memory does not vary with age. These findings provide further support for an independent relationship between obesity and reduced memory performance and suggest these effects are not limited to older adults."

Unraveling the multiple roles of leptin in inflammation and autoimmunity
"Initially described as an antiobesity hormone, leptin has subsequently been shown also to influence hematopoiesis, thermogenesis, reproduction, angiogenesis, and immune homeostasis. Leptin links nutritional status and proinflammatory T helper 1 immune responses, and the decrease in leptin plasma concentration during food deprivation leads to impaired immune function. This review focuses on the multiple roles of leptin in chronic inflammation and autoimmunity and suggests new possible therapeutic implications for leptin modulators."

Obesity and susceptibility to autoimmune diseases
"the molecular basis for the association between obesity and low-degree chronic inflammation is still unknown. More recently, the discovery of leptin, one of the most abundant adipocyte-derived hormones, has suggested that nutritional status, through leptin secretion, can control immune self-tolerance modulating Treg suppressive function and responsiveness. Furthermore, recent experimental evidence has shown the presence of an abundant adipose tissue-resident Treg population responsible for the control of metabolic parameters and glucose homeostasis. Better knowledge of the intricate network of interactions among leptin-related energy regulation, Treg activities and obesity could lead to valuable strategies for therapeutic intervention in obesity and obesity-associated insulin resistance."
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
friendgirl
Family Member

Post by friendgirl »

hi! bought lots of veggies and fruits at the store.
spinach
kale
jicama
strawberries
raspberries
cucumbers
snap peas
alfalfa sprouts

and a lot of other stuff and have been doing pretty well except the numbness has spread to my arm on the side of the thigh numbness.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

looks really great! :)

re ongoing numbness - how are you doing for b12-rich and zinc-rich food shopping? (there were some links for those on the earlier pages of this discussion)
friendgirl
Family Member

Post by friendgirl »

the numbness and stuff hasn't really been at all affected by what foods i eat, sorry. it's hot here again, so the walking is getting more difficult/more tripping.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it has to be done very carefully with lots of nutritional content-counting. and sometimes the deficiencies are too pronounced for diet alone - even if you can get the rda for the ones problematic for ms, it could be a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed. and never mind the nutrient draining effects of bread and such on critical things like zinc. i hesitated to mention therapeutic doses of nutritional supplements in case they weren't an option budget-wise. the only other route is bloodwork, but those cost money too. at least armed with test results you know exactly what you need and how much.