Considering the possibility

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Jaeness

Considering the possibility

Post by Jaeness »

I'm considering the possibility of MS, although at 64, I'm a tad long iun the tooth for it.

My biggest symptom is leg pain--it comes, goes, sometimes this muscle, sometimes that one, sometimes one or the other legs is worse. Occasionally I get a pain-free day and am often better directly after chiropractics.
Anti-inflams and Wellbutrin seem to help.

It began 5-6 years ago with occasional collapsing of my leg in a huge flash of pain.

Very slowly it got progressively worse.

A few months back it was a severe stab--like the muscle twisted--when I'd go from sittiing to standing or when I'd straighten my legs after having them curled, even slightly or moved my leg sideways.

Then my knees got involved--burning under the cap and a sense of them being swollen.

This week, I started getting pain that was not secondary to movement--an ache with intense shooters.

While getting up can make me yelp, often, once I am up and work out whatever, I can walk without a problem, except my legs do feel a little weak.

I have greying of vision--especially in the morning and night blindness has intensified.

I'm often tired.

Here's my big question: can Lhermitte's sign move backwards. I occasionally have a shooting oddly painful sensation that makes me momentarily unable to move my head when it occurs. It sounds like this, but it runs up from my back and up the back of my head on the right side. It's a totally bizarre feeling and quite uncomfortable.

The big problem is I am out of work and out of COBRA, so can't get it checked out until Medicare kicks in in August and can't afford to replace the Wellbutrin once it's gone. Is there a danger in delaying tx if it's really MS?

Not having any idea what's happening to me is very unsettling. I live alone and have no family. I've always had a great immune system--never had flu shots, though I worked in a hospital before I was laid off, and never got the flu. Hardly even a cold. And now this.

Any feedback would be welcome.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Considering the possibility

Post by jimmylegs »

if you can afford them, try zinc to help the vision, and magnesium for the pain. both will help with absorption of other nutrients. the form of zinc should be zinc gluconate (least cadmium contamination) and the form of magnesium should be magnesium glycinate. see if you can find 50mg zinc pills (ensure there's a couple mg of copper in there to balance it out properly) and go for 100mg magnesium glycinate pills. take one of the zinc pills in the morning and then take a magnesium at lunch and another at dinner. in canada i can get the zinc for under $15 (although i've been using zinc citrate, will get gluconate next time) and the magnesium for $20. ideally, bloodwork should be done but it isn't a dealbreaker if you can't make it happen just now.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jaeness

Post by Jaeness »

Thank you. I'll give that a go.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yvw :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Post by MarkLavelle »

Jaeness wrote:Any feedback would be welcome.
Just one question: What does your doctor think?

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
Jaeness

Post by Jaeness »

No insurance = no doctor. I will speak to my chiropractor on Monday. That these symptoms could be MS just occurred to me yesterday.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

You may want to consider your diet. Wheither it is MS or some other problem diet is the only way to heal the body. The only thing the doctor will do is give you a drug and drugs are not good for the body. Check out the diet section on this web site. Here is a video to try and explain what you are going through.