Muscle fatigue on the right side of my body - Please Advise

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
petert

Muscle fatigue on the right side of my body - Please Advise

Post by petert »

I've been struggling almost nineteen months with odd symptoms, and no doctor has been able to help me. In March of 2014, I started experiencing numbness in my ring and pinky finger of my right hand. My right hand was also weak and it was difficult to grip a pen.

I started seeing a chiropractor, who adjusted my neck, and the symptoms seemed to slowly fade. A dull, achy, tired sensation moved up my right arm and eventually disappeared. After being symptom free for several months, I started experiencing a slight dull, achy, fatigue sensation in my arm again. But now it was slightly in my leg too.

I eventually saw my primary care doctor, who ordered a brain MRI without contrast. The radiologist found no lesions on my brain. Then I saw a neurologist who ordered an MRI of my cervical spine with contrast and found no lesions. I also had an EMG test that didn't find anything. They also checked for a pinched nerve with x-rays of my neck in different positions; but they didn't find anything.

Since then, I have experienced intermittent symptoms. Right now, as I type, my right hand feels slow and clumsy. My ring and pinky finger feel slightly numb. Sometimes my right arm feels so tired, especially when holding my phone to my ear. I feel an achy, burning sensation in my arm... almost like I overworked the muscle. The sensation is similar to the feeling of doing many reps with a light weight until your muscles burn and ache.

I also get a tired, heavy sensation in my right leg. Sometimes my right leg aches, like it's partially asleep.

I have experienced fuzzy vision in my right eye on a few occasions. I only noticed it when looking at a computer screen, and the words looked fuzzy. For some reason, the astigmatism in my right eye seems to get worse all of a sudden. A little while later, it goes away.

All of my symptoms are on my right side. Strangely, they come and go throughout the day. Even though my right arm feels tired and burns, I have no apparent loss in overall strength. It's the same with my right leg. Even though my right leg feels heavy, achy, and tired, I can still run.

Since my symptoms are intermittent, my doctors are unable to help me. My primary care doctor thinks that it has something to do with my central nervous system, since the symptoms are in both my arm and leg on the right side. My neurologist told me to return when things are really bad.

Do my symptoms sound like MS to you? I could really use your thoughts. Thanks.

Peter
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Muscle fatigue on the right side of my body - Please Adv

Post by ElliotB »

There are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS. Could it be MS? Yes, but it could also be something else. My advice, see qualified doctors to get your diagnosis. And also, improve your health as much as possible with regard to diet, exercise, body weight, get sufficient sleep, stop drinking if you drink, reduce stress from your life as much as possible and take nutritional supplements. Hope you receive your answer and feel better soon.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, Peter (petert).

Your symptoms are consistent with many conditions. As ElliotB has said, MS is just one possibility.

To Elliot's suggestions, I simply add a caution about taking nutritional supplements before any testing is ordered by your doctor. For example, taking vitamin B supplements before testing will skew the results and disguise a deficiency. (B12 deficiency is one of the possible causes for your symptoms.)
lcl269

Post by lcl269 »

I have the same exact symptoms (and occurred right around the same time frame as you). I also get muscle twitches. I'm curious if you've gotten any answers from doctors. I tested positive for Lyme, Bartonella, and Babesia but am having no luck with any treatments.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi lcl269,

Have you tried this approach? - http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-Dise ... 620550083

Regards,
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

There are hundreds of alternative treatments for Lyme (and/or MS). Is there any specific reason for this treatment over any of the others?
nevarc

Re: Muscle fatigue on the right side of my body - Please Advise

Post by nevarc »

Hi Peter,

I've been experiencing almost the exact same set of symptoms as you, and gotten the same mainly clean test results. MRIs are clean, EMG clean, etc. I also feel intermittent fatigue and weakness in my right hand and arm, leg and sometimes face (seems to be along the temporalis muscle). Facial movements especially can feel similar to when you've just come in from the cold and muscles are slow to respond/release. Did you ever get any more satisfying diagnosis? One neurologist suggested Exertion Intolerance (myalgic encephalomyelitis) as a possible reason. Sorry to use this board for non-MS purposes, but would be very curious to know how you've fared and what you've learned since your first post.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Muscle fatigue on the right side of my body - Please Advise

Post by jimmylegs »

hi nevarc, FYI peter posted once in 2015 and from what i can tell has logged in to view no more than the first two replies since.

question: i'm seeing ME aligned with chronic fatigue syndrome, do you have the same impression?

if it's of any interest: when the diagnostic picture is unclear, i generally encourage taking a close look at how day to day behaviours might diverge from public health recommendations. if you have not already pursued the option, a referral to a preventive professional might be helpful.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.