whats the difference between cramps and spasticity

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

whats the difference between cramps and spasticity

Post by ShirleyTemple »

I am ashamed to say i have never really had a cramp in my life before. The only cramp i have had was when i got an IUD inserted 2 years ago. It was the worst back pain i have ever felt. Comparable to the stomach flu pains. But other than that idk how it feels elsewhere.

Lately the past week. I have been having tightness/aching in my leg. The same spots in rotation almost. Idk if these are leg cramps. It lasts briefly (10 seconds-min) but not a sharp pain. The only way i can thinking of is my muscles pulling at the spots while an imaginary man is putting his fist and all his weight on those spots. So its like a combo of pressure achiness with a tight feeling. I massage it to see if it works, and it does or a few seconds but comes back or when i want to move. Doesn't occur while at rest and i can also move my leg at will. It doesn't lock up.

So how are spasticity and cramps differentiated?

Oh i wanted to add i'm eating bananas if that will do anything different.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: whats the difference between cramps and spasticity

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

That's an interesting question. I quite like the definitions here - http://www.alsfrombothsides.org/spasticity.html

I've never thought about how to describe a cramp to someone who has never had one. It's like describing a spiral staircase with your hands tied behind your back so I'll defer to the link.

What your describing is more like mild spasticity or just muscle tightness. Have you started physically exerting yourself recently?

Regards
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

Post by ShirleyTemple »

I haven't really been exerting myself anymore than usual. I'm not a big exerciser (I know I should change that). I'm rather a couch potato though my weight has been consitent throughout the years.

I have heard of Charlie horses. Like an INTENSE localized pain pf something jabbing at that spot. But with it I'm not sure if they are visible to see. I have never had that kind of cramp. Only the dull cramp from the it'd insertion. Can you have a leg cramp you can't see?

I do get spasms... or fasculations? BFS forums couldn't tell me the difference. Everyday I get vibrations/popcorn popping feelings in my body (mainly legs and butt lol) at random times that don't hurt, they too last briefly. But this is the first time I have ever felt this pulling pain.

Is spasticity and spasms the same thing?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Then you should count yourself lucky. When you get a cramp you will know it.
Spasticity and cramp are not the same thing. The twinges you describe are neither. Probably time start exercise.

Regards
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

Post by ShirleyTemple »

I know i should feel lucky. But at this point i wish it were a cramp rather than it pointing to spasticity, i cant deal with this influx of symptoms creeping out in such a short time frame.

From things i've read, i have sorta figured out is that all cramps are spasms, but not all spasms are cramps. Spasms aren't necessarily painful and fasculations are a type of spasm as well. And that spasticity is like a continuous state of a spasm that results in tension like pain? Then i read on that cramps can be tension like too and not always charlie horses. So all in all, nobody still has a good definition to tell it apart unless its dramatically apparent.

God this is so f--king confusing.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Start exercising. See what happens.

Regards,
ShirleyTemple
Family Member

Post by ShirleyTemple »

I go for walks, not a good runner because of my weak knees. They are long walks though. And i do notice that when i go for my walks the spasticity/stiffness subsides. Initiating the walks can hurt, but during my walk it is not there only to reemerge after i finish my walk. I used to do swimming but my park closed the pool and its wintertime! Woohh! :-x

I am also, and excuse my "tmi", i think i might (hopefully) be getting my period soon and i am just having an odd pms symptoms??? Maybe this is my first odd cramp OR i'm pregnant because i havent gotten it in almost 2 months and i'm like really freaking the fuck out. Pardon my language. I havent gotten the IUD taken out and regardless of having it inserted, my dot has been on point like clockwork. This is the first time it didnt come. UGH. There to just WAY TO MUCH STRESS going on in this body and everything is attacking me at once and ughhhhhhh i dont want to be preggers..... :cry: :? :?

.......sorry for this information overload.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Exercise is not just running. Walking is exercise. Any movement is exercise. Dancing is exercise. Working muscles against each other is exercise. Taking the stairs is exercise..........etc
Try Pilates, Yoga or anything that keeps you moving. Sit still and seize up.

Regards,