MRI Brain Scan

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
RETROWOMAN

MRI Brain Scan

Post by RETROWOMAN »

Had Brain MRI done Aug 5,2016 My Primary ordered it due to my symptoms and Neurologist did test with very small pin and poke me determine I have "Neuropathy".
I'm not Diabetic I do have Hashimotos .
MRI Brain without/ with Contrast results were :
T2 Hypointensity Caudate/Putamen Iron deposits.
My Primary said he thinks my symptoms are signs of early MS.Primary said its not my Thyroid but now he's not sure..
Going to see Neurologist Sept 15,2016
Help I'm tired of being told its this its that I just want them to make up their minds.

I guess I should add my symptoms which started years ago but have gotten worse.

Couldn't barely walk when working as a Picker/Packer which I've had done for years than out of no where feet swollen red fiery pain and next day felt so sick was getting Leg spasms overheated twice in 4 hour period @ work wasn't allowed back on production floor.

Feet/Hands Numb can't move them this is worse.Swallowing problem had for years (No Nodules/ Goiter) had ultra sound.
Right leg has started giving out on me going down stairs.
Trying to do housework shopping ect I become Extremely exhausted & Weak my legs feel like I'm wearing cement boots. Arms ache and become weak just folding towels.

I might add besides Hashimotos which I've been dealing with this Roller Coaster Ride From Hell as I call it for 16 years TSH constantly Hyper than Hypo meds have been up to 300mcg Levithyroxine.
Diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Excessive Daytime Sleepiness I also have Excessive Yawning they have No Diagnoses for this but put me on Modafinil 100 after taking 30 minutes later Yawning started couldn't keep my eyes open fell asleep ,tried it a second day same symptoms.
Neurologist also Tremors.
Had Vertigo years ago after my daughter was born in 1993 Severe Gastritis/ Esophagus severely inflamed Doc said my stomach looked like that of a heavy drinker for years and I just had a baby she was 3 months old.
Was eventually told I had Severe Panic Disorder .

I'm sick of Doctors
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: MRI Brain Scan

Post by lyndacarol »

RETROWOMAN wrote:Had Brain MRI done Aug 5,2016 My Primary ordered it due to my symptoms and Neurologist did test with very small pin and poke me determine I have "Neuropathy".
I'm not Diabetic I do have Hashimotos .
MRI Brain without/ with Contrast results were :
T2 Hypointensity Caudate/Putamen Iron deposits.
My Primary said he thinks my symptoms are signs of early MS.Primary said its not my Thyroid but now he's not sure..
Going to see Neurologist Sept 15,2016
Help I'm tired of being told its this its that I just want them to make up their minds.

I guess I should add my symptoms which started years ago but have gotten worse.

Couldn't barely walk when working as a Picker/Packer which I've had done for years than out of no where feet swollen red fiery pain and next day felt so sick was getting Leg spasms overheated twice in 4 hour period @ work wasn't allowed back on production floor.

Feet/Hands Numb can't move them this is worse.Swallowing problem had for years (No Nodules/ Goiter) had ultra sound.
Right leg has started giving out on me going down stairs.
Trying to do housework shopping ect I become Extremely exhausted & Weak my legs feel like I'm wearing cement boots. Arms ache and become weak just folding towels.

I might add besides Hashimotos which I've been dealing with this Roller Coaster Ride From Hell as I call it for 16 years TSH constantly Hyper than Hypo meds have been up to 300mcg Levithyroxine.
Diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Excessive Daytime Sleepiness I also have Excessive Yawning they have No Diagnoses for this but put me on Modafinil 100 after taking 30 minutes later Yawning started couldn't keep my eyes open fell asleep ,tried it a second day same symptoms.
Neurologist also Tremors.
Had Vertigo years ago after my daughter was born in 1993 Severe Gastritis/ Esophagus severely inflamed Doc said my stomach looked like that of a heavy drinker for years and I just had a baby she was 3 months old.
Was eventually told I had Severe Panic Disorder .

I'm sick of Doctors
Welcome to ThisIsMS, RETROWOMAN.

I assume you are asking for opinions, although you have not asked specifically.

I have no medical background, but I offer you my thoughts:

Your symptoms are consistent with many conditions; MS is one possibility, but it is a diagnosis of exclusion and must only be considered after the other more likely possibilities have been ruled out.

As you have learned from the neurologist, numbness in the legs and arms is the definition of "peripheral neuropathy." You seem to have begun ruling out some possibilities – HIV, thyroid problems, vitamin B12 (which you say was "normal" – exactly which tests were done to rule out a B12 deficiency? Do you have the actual test result numbers?). Severe gastritis can cause vitamin B12 deficiency; pregnancy is also a drain on the mother's B12 stores. Your "swallowing problem" (a.k.a. dysphasia) can be due to B12 deficiency – in fact, all your symptoms are common to B12 deficiency In investigating the cause of peripheral neuropathy, the University of Chicago suggests the following:

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest\
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:

Vitamin B12 and folate levels
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease
Lyme disease
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B
I would also suggest that you request your neurologist to order a vitamin D test (the "25-hydroxy D"). Also, ask for your own copy of any test results – it is important to have the actual numbers.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause neurological problems, and they are very common. These blood tests are relatively inexpensive… certainly less expensive than most neurological exams and imaging. In my opinion, this is the place to start.

Other nutrient testing for magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc could be useful since these are often low in MS patients.
RETROWOMAN

Post by RETROWOMAN »

Thank you This is MS,
I don't absorb B12 have to get shots also yes I have portal to check lab results.
My calcuim&vit D were low several months ago doctor have prescription for however calcuim was causing the prob is Neurologist says my Neurophathy is not Peripheral. She said it was caused by my Hashimotos
My last lab showed B12 & D in normal range Calcuim still low my prob is just like my TSH up&down these too do the same.
Also when the numb/tingling began years ago it was only my B12 all other normal but got B12 shots once a week.
My swallowing prob started at age 12 had my throat was checked docs back then could find no reason.
Also both leggs would give out which right leg has started doing and I be on my face and this happen to me & my sister who's older also extreme leg pain growing up to by parents it was growing pains I might also add one reason Primary is checking Ms is my Mother had MS and although its not considered Hereditary it puts me at a risk of possibly having.
So anyhow I take an active role in my health I ask questions oh magnesium was normal.
I'm honestly not sure whats going on but these symptoms are not my hashimotos I know my body.
What bothers me is my primary stated to me&my husband that the iron deposits & my symtoms were early sign of MS or possible Muscular Dystrophy and letter I requested he wrote of his suspicions to my Neuro he makes no mention of this.
However I can download copy of visit notes that does and take with me.
Also I don't get why I become weak & extremely Fatigue on Exertion.
I hope I'm not coming across as negative its just I've been doing everything my doctors say to do and I still have same issues that are getting worse.
I used to blame my dropping stuff on being Clummsey yet its worse and I can't ignore anymore.
Anyhow thank you again for your taking the time to reply and info I appreciate it
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

RETROWOMAN wrote:I don't absorb B12 have to get shots also yes I have portal to check lab results.
My calcuim&vit D were low several months ago doctor have prescription for however calcuim was causing the prob is Neurologist says my Neurophathy is not Peripheral. She said it was caused by my Hashimotos
My last lab showed B12 & D in normal range Calcuim still low my prob is just like my TSH up&down these too do the same.
Also when the numb/tingling began years ago it was only my B12 all other normal but got B12 shots once a week.
My swallowing prob started at age 12 had my throat was checked docs back then could find no reason.
Also both leggs would give out which right leg has started doing and I be on my face and this happen to me & my sister who's older also extreme leg pain growing up to by parents it was growing pains I might also add one reason Primary is checking Ms is my Mother had MS and although its not considered Hereditary it puts me at a risk of possibly having.
So anyhow I take an active role in my health I ask questions oh magnesium was normal.
I'm honestly not sure whats going on but these symptoms are not my hashimotos I know my body.
What bothers me is my primary stated to me&my husband that the iron deposits & my symtoms were early sign of MS or possible Muscular Dystrophy and letter I requested he wrote of his suspicions to my Neuro he makes no mention of this.
However I can download copy of visit notes that does and take with me.
Also I don't get why I become weak & extremely Fatigue on Exertion.
I hope I'm not coming across as negative its just I've been doing everything my doctors say to do and I still have same issues that are getting worse.
I used to blame my dropping stuff on being Clummsey yet its worse and I can't ignore anymore.
Since you have mentioned B12 first, let's start there:

The B12 pathway is very complicated. There are about 15 proteins or conditions necessary for absorption – if any one is missing, absorption will be blocked (gastritis will do it). Obviously, B12 shots are the solution for you.

The form of vitamin B12 shots given in doctors' offices in the US is usually cyanocobalamin (this is the cheapest form and the most difficult form to absorb – it must be decyanated in the body first before it can be used by the body). The methyl-cobalamin form is preferred because it is readily absorbed; it is available through a compounding pharmacy.

Even if the B12 level in your blood is raised to an optimal level, it is still possible that the vitamin is not reaching your cells – it is still possible to have a deficiency in the cells.

What were the actual number results for your B12 testing? Thorough testing should include the following 4 tests: #1 a serum B12 test, #2 an RBC (red blood cell) folate test, #3 a serum homocysteine test, and #4 a methylmalonic acid test. Will you share your numbers for these tests with us?

There is controversy over the reference range many labs are using to determine "normal"– many experts consider the cutoff point for deficiency is set too low. In the US, often test results must be lower than 200 pg/mL to be considered and treated as deficient; in Japan, the cutoff is 500 pg/mL – anything lower is considered a deficiency and treated.

Since your doctor has prescribed B12 shots for you, I assume your numbers were below 200. It is good that your doctor is monitoring your level with regular testing.

Next, to vitamin D… There is also controversy over the reference range for vitamin D. Since your vitamin D level was low a few months ago, it is good for your doctor to monitor with a test once or twice a year. The California-based group GrassrootsHealth (http://www.GrassrootsHealth.net) and a consensus of vitamin D experts recommends that vitamin D should be tested with the 25-hydroxy D blood test and should be at least 40 ng/mL. There are neurologists who recommend patients with neurological symptoms should reach and maintain 80-100 ng/mL as an optimal level.

I admire you for taking an active role in health. It is important to ask lots of questions.

Weakness and extreme fatigue are common to many conditions. Keep working with your doctors. Be strong and don't give up.
RETROWOMAN

Post by RETROWOMAN »

Thanks for info I'm gonna get on and check my labs see what was check for B12 and it is the Cyancobalamin that they give me that much I am certain of.
RETROWOMAN

Post by RETROWOMAN »

Has anyone had Iron Deposits show up on Brain scan? :?: