Possible MS? 'lhermittes' + blind spots

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Louisels
Getting to Know You...

Re: Possible MS? 'lhermittes' + blind spots

Post by Louisels »

I have an appointment with GP tomorrow - they actually seemed concerned that I have a black spot which is a relief.

I dont blame the neuro for thinking i'm hysterical. If I seemed more calm and collected at appointments, I would probably have been taken more seriously. But it's hard not to seem frantic when you feel like the doctors already have made up their mind.

The neuro even massaged my shoulders and felt like I was very tense and THAT was the cause of buzzing with putting my head to my chin. Interesting theory ;)
Louisels
Getting to Know You...

Post by Louisels »

also found this;

Muscle spasms or myoclonus of palatal muscles or those of the middle ear (stapedius, tensor tympani) may cause perceptible noise, typically a rhythmic clicking. Such spasms may be idiopathic or caused by tumors, head trauma, and infectious or demyelinating diseases (eg, multiple sclerosis). Palatal myoclonus causes visible movement of the palate, tympanic membrane, or both that coincides with tinnitus.

In the last few years I have had clicking in my left ear on and off. Of course it can be other things, but this is just one more thing that points me in that direction.

In regards to the neuro; he MUST know that MS has an effect on the optic nerve, I think he just said it to calm me down. It has quite the opposite effect though, as it just leaves me feeling belittled.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Louisels wrote:also found this;

Muscle spasms or myoclonus of palatal muscles or those of the middle ear (stapedius, tensor tympani) may cause perceptible noise, typically a rhythmic clicking. Such spasms may be idiopathic or caused by tumors, head trauma, and infectious or demyelinating diseases (eg, multiple sclerosis). Palatal myoclonus causes visible movement of the palate, tympanic membrane, or both that coincides with tinnitus.

In the last few years I have had clicking in my left ear on and off. Of course it can be other things, but this is just one more thing that points me in that direction.
Thank you for this information. My sister has suffered from tinnitus (hers is a "buzzing" sound) for years. I never thought of muscle spasms as a possible cause. Now, I will suggest magnesium supplementation to her, since magnesium has been shown to be effective against muscle spasms.
Louisels
Getting to Know You...

Post by Louisels »

just came back from GP who dismissed the black spot as a floater. It's completely stationary though. I disagree w him, but for now i am too tired to do more. If it was something serious I suppose I would have known by now.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"It's completely stationary though. "

I have floaters too and about 10 years ago had a very large one that I discovered that was stationery. I too was scared as I had never had such a large floated (huge compared to others) and didn't 'float' I made an emergency appointment with and ophthalmologist who confirmed it was just a very large floater. I still have it although now it is smaller and less dense. And now 'floats'
malrd
Getting to Know You...

Post by malrd »

Snoopy wrote:
Louisels wrote:I have been to en eye doc who couldnt see a cause to my problems - he didnt perform any actual tests though besides blowing in the eye and taking some pictures (which I have learned would not be able to diagnose OP, if it was present). Either way - it is not an 'eye' problem, my eyes themselves are healthy. :)
If you see fine and your eye Dr. didn't see anything wrong with your eyes then it wouldn't be anything to worry about.
In regards to Lhermittes; when I say 'different places' I mean;

in the beginning, with chin to chest, it was my foot that buzzed. That would be the case for weeks - every time i bent my head, I would buzz in my feet. Then later on, with chin to chest, part of my left thigh would buzz with chin to chest (and continue to do so for days/weeks with a headbend). The buzzing was only for a second or two, then it stops.
If it was really Lhermittes it would be felt from the spine down or at the very least waist down all at the same time . Lhermittes doesn't cause random buzzing in different parts.
From what I have read online from ms'ers, that sounds like lhermittes to me?
I have had Lhermittes sign for 31 years. What you are describing doesn't sound like Lhermittes sign, to me.
I have to disagree with your textbook description of Lhermittes. I have Lhermittes, as well, and it only creates buzzing in my feet. I've never had the sensation anywhere beside my feet upon neck flexion. The textbook definition is the sensation radiating down the spine and out to the limbs, but as we know, MS does not follow any typical patterns.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

malrd wrote: I have to disagree with your textbook description of Lhermittes. I have Lhermittes, as well, and it only creates buzzing in my feet. I've never had the sensation anywhere beside my feet upon neck flexion. The textbook definition is the sensation radiating down the spine and out to the limbs, but as we know, MS does not follow any typical patterns.
You can disagree with me, it really doesn't matter.

I wasn't giving a textbook definition. As a residual symptom that has never gone away in 31 years I have experienced Lhermittes a couple different ways...(1) bilaterally from the waist down including the girlie parts, (2) mid spine all the way down bilaterally as written in number 1. I have never had it appear as yours has.

Lhermittes sign when related to MS is caused by a cervical spinal cord lesion. There can be other causes for Lhermittes unrelated to MS. There can be causes for buzzing/vibrations unrelated to Lhermittes or MS.
Louisels
Getting to Know You...

Post by Louisels »

Thank you both:) i know other things Can cause lhermittes, i have done so much research. I dont think i have any of the other suspects - and given my age, gender and country, ms is def the most likely. Especially considering my Black splot in my left eye and movement phosphenes. Im ok with it honestly. Although being brushed off by doctors is hard.
LizardKing
Family Member

Post by LizardKing »

Ok, considering all the symptoms you have I doubt that you coincidentally have all these issues and that they are totally unrelated.
Frankly most doctors will judge women as "hysterical" if they don't have a test verified by common tests.
Don't give up.
Brain and spine MRIs would be a great next step especially considering your age and symptoms.
Ask for one and if turned down, insist.
Louisels
Getting to Know You...

Post by Louisels »

I completely agree, but for now i think i will wait and see. I'm just sooo tired - i have gone to GP's several times and numerous neuros (5-6 the last few years).

I'm in the middle of writing my thesis at the moment and going to the doctors to be told that it's 'just stress' is very thought- and energy consuming :)

Of course they are right, i am ALSO stressed, which definitely makes my symptoms much worse. As does heat and exercise, I have found. Some of the symptoms though, the lhermittes and the black spot in my left vision, are so stubborn and also 'mechanically induced' and REALLY THERE, that I can't attribute them to stress/anxiety..

The last week or so my left pinkie and left big toe will give me a tingle-tingle when I bend my head forward. I think it may be going away though, but after the hot shower or gym class I feel it. Hmm.

But I must say, it gives me great relief to hear someone at least admit that my symptoms point in that direction - and that i'm not just totally hysterical. I fear that my records at the doctors have a big blinking hypochondria-symbol on them, so they automatically assume I'm just making things up or being hypersensitive.

So thank you so much for that. Really.
LizardKing
Family Member

Post by LizardKing »

Louisels wrote:
But I must say, it gives me great relief to hear someone at least admit that my symptoms point in that direction - and that i'm not just totally hysterical.
I have no doubt you are NOT hysterical.
Not quite the symptoms someone would make up and certainly symptoms that can be caused by as lot of things.
I fear that my records at the doctors have a big blinking hypochondria-symbol on them, so they automatically assume I'm just making things up or being hypersensitive.
You and millions of other people with medical conditions that have not yet been properly diagnosed.
I have told my story here but frankly doctors have been dead wrong on serious issues with me way too many times
for me to have any faith in many of them.
Keep at it while living your life.
Want some good/bad news?
If you get a serious attack from whatever the problem is, your chances of being properly diagnosed increase dramatically.

Sounds to me like you need some MRIs done of your brain and spine.......

Return to “Undiagnosed”