Is It All In My Head?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Is It All In My Head?

Post by Mommy5kids »

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure I arrived here like so many others because of the symptoms I've been having, Google-ing those symptoms and the start of tests from my PCP to rule out MS and other things.

I'm hoping just sharing with you and reading your input will help me to feel better on this journey I've found myself on.

The most recent episodes began about two yaers ago. (Prior to that, I had a month-long or so episode in 2012 that ultimately went away before pursuing anything further. Dr. thought perhaps labrythitis for which I underwent testing which came up negative. Symptoms eventually went away and I carried on.) Until about two months ago.

The recent episodes are: I feel like I'm going to pass out, tunnel vision, hot flashes, and my entire left side goes numb. Often these happen when it feels too warm in my office. Heat of any kind seems to bother me. I've had three of these particular episodes in the last month. Often, an aching where the back of my head meets my neck. Lowering my head to my chest is uncomfortable.

Last Sunday night, had a severe headache, followed by left sided numbness, this time pervading my face. This is then followed by anxiety, weakness, heavy leg muscles. Often at night, my calves and thighs feel as though I've run a 5k (like I used to). Most noticeable in the last year or so is my forgetfulness. I either forgot where I laid something, forget what I was going to do/say, or cannot come up with a word that I know is in there somewhere. I joke that I'm having early onset dementia but coupled with the other symptoms lately, it's not so funny anymore. Additionally, fatigue. I regularly get 7-8 hours a night but still feel like I could lay down for another 4 hours each day. I am often asleep by 9 each night on the couch. I have no energy to do all the things I used to do. I feel like I work all day and sleep all night with very little in between. Other symptoms that may or may not be related are sudden bladder incontinence. I'm 40 and I have 5 children but never had a leakage issue before. (sorry if TMI) I'm 40 but feel like I'm 80. :(

The Sunday night event led me to my PCP, frustrated. He ordered a list of bloodwork (cbc, lytes, glucose, lyme, c reactive protein, sed rate, b12, folic acid) all of which checked out fine.

He also ordered an MRI/MRA of my brain which I just had Friday and am waiting on results.

What else would he be wanting to rule out, do you think? Obviously, my symptoms are serious enough to warrant an expensive MRI/MRA right? Doctors don't just order those things on a whim.

Do my symptoms sound related to MS?

As an aside and why I titled this post this way: When I had my first recent episode at work, they sent me upstairs to the walk in clinic and the doctor wrote it off as anxiety. But I wasn't even anxious. He gave me 10mg citalopram and I've been taking that for two weeks. Figured, why not. Maybe it WILL work. Except that it hasn't. I still feel all the things I felt. I had my MRI Friday. I was ANXIOUS and SCARED for it. Scared of the dye, etc. If it were anxiety, wouldn't I have had a panic attack then? Am I crazy??

Thanks so much for reading all of this and helping to sort things out with me. I feel like I can't really tell anyone else just yet.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Is It All In My Head?

Post by jimmylegs »

it's not in your head. many things which you can be dealing with are subjective and 'subclinical' so docs won't have a test that will pick it up, or perhaps they received negligible training in the particular conditions that could lead to your particular array of symptoms.

if you've been journaling, having something concise on hand that you can present to a doc to give them a sense of what happens hourly, daily, weekly, etc, what factors are associated with good days and bad days, that could help them get a sense of what they could be working with that may not be specifically on their to do list.

speaking of which, it's been a while since i looked at the dx process. thought this looked interesting:

excerpt from
Differential diagnosis of suspected multiple sclerosis: a consensus approach
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 8508096878
Table 1 Red flags (there are 79 of these)
Red flag....................Type......Total score.....SD.....Red flaga.....Examples of alternative diagnosis
Bone lesions..............Clinical.......30............0.00.....Major.....Histiocytosis; Erdheim Chester disease
Lung involvement.......Clinical.......30............0.00.....Major.....Sarcoidosis; Lymphomatoid granulomatosis
Multiple cranial
neuropathies or
polyradiculopathy.......Clinical.......30............0.00.....Major.....Chronic meningitis, including sarcoidosis and tuberculosis; Lyme disease
Peripheral
neuropathy................Clinical......30.............0.00.....Major.....B12 deficiency; adrenoleukodystrophy; metachromatic leukodystrophy, Lyme disease
Tendon xanthomas.....Clinical.......30.............0.00....Major.....Cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis
a Red flags are ordered from the most “major” to the most “minor” as per subgroup rankings described in text. Major red flags point
fairly definitively to a non-MS diagnosis; minor red flags may be consistent with MS or an alternative diagnosis

and then there's the mcdonald criteria and so on.

how did your b12 result look by the way, do you have it on file? there are issues with how docs define normal ranges and interpret results. the problem applies not only to b12 which is solidly on the radar for msddx at least, but to other essential nutrients which are issues for ms patients and NOT on the ddx radar for ms or for chronic disease in general.

some other topics you may wish to peruse given the running and munchkins:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/exercise- ... 28507.html
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 19575.html
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Do you take your own blood pressure when these incidents happen? I think that would be a really good idea.

Regards,
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

Scott1 wrote:Hi,

Do you take your own blood pressure when these incidents happen? I think that would be a really good idea.

Regards,
I have and it's consistently in the 120's over 70/80's.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

OK, that's good but keep checking it.

As its hot in the office, where are you? Is it heating or is it summer?

What happens if you are in cool environments?

Regards,
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

Scott1 wrote:OK, that's good but keep checking it.

As its hot in the office, where are you? Is it heating or is it summer?

What happens if you are in cool environments?

Regards,
Well, in the summer if the air conditioning isn't running or in the winter when the heat is too high. Also, in the car or at a basketball game or any gathering where it gets warm. I need to get out into cooler air.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

how did your b12 result look by the way, do you have it on file?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Hi Mommy5kids,

Some of your symptoms could be MS but many other conditions, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, some medications and mental health problems can also cause what you are experiencing. There is a criteria for diagnosing MS (The Revised McDonald Criteria) and part of that criteria requires all other possibilities for a person's symptoms need to be ruled out.
I feel like I'm going to pass out, tunnel vision, hot flashes, and my entire left side goes numb.

This could fall under anxiety/panic attacks, anxiety/panic attacks can cause physical symptoms. This is not something MS causes.

Best wishes...
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

jimmylegs wrote:
still waiting on my b12 result. i had it done in a separate panel (with folic acid, sed rate, c reactive protein, etc) and I left a message with my pcp to get a copy. I need a copy to take to my neurologist on 1/20. I will share as soon as I get them. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds good!
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

Mommy5kids wrote:
jimmylegs wrote:
still waiting on my b12 result. i had it done in a separate panel (with folic acid, sed rate, c reactive protein, etc) and I left a message with my pcp to get a copy. I need a copy to take to my neurologist on 1/20. I will share as soon as I get them. :)
Finally got my hands on my b12 result: 394. Healthy range is 200-1100
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

jimmylegs wrote:sounds good!
Finally got my hands on my b12 result: 394 (range says 200-1100)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Mommy5kids wrote:Finally got my hands on my b12 result: 394 (range says 200-1100)
That's not too bad. However, it could still be a little low. For anyone experiencing neurological symptoms, the recommended B12 level is 600-1000 pg/mL.

It would also be good to know homocysteine, red blood cell (RBC) folate and methylmalonic acid (MMA) for a more thorough B12 analysis.

When I was tested, my B12 was right at the bottom of the range at 247 pg/mL, but my homocysteine was elevated and my RBC folate was 403 ng/mL, nearly 100 points below the 500-1500 range. The doctor stated that I was "definitely deficient."
  • Reference:

"Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses."
    Sally Pacholok and Jeffrey Stuart, 2nd Edition, 2011
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yay for results! boo for so-called 'normal' ranges :S
target: boost to 500 assuming units are pg/ml
i do the same even in pmol/l which converts to i believe 677 in pg/ml (you divide by 0.738)
is this based on low meat or all veg diet? (that was the deal in my case) or is it a case of pernicious anemia?

Return to “Undiagnosed”