As I Wait for Answers...an Update

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

As I Wait for Answers...an Update

Post by Mommy5kids »

I posted here last week for the first time...of course when I googled symptoms, MS is one of the many things that came up. I've since had an MRI/MRA of my brain and a referral to neurology. Initially, I was scheduled for 3/30/17 but my PCP called and now I'm scheduled for 1/20/17.

MRI had 10 bilateral foci in frontal lobe. (impression from radiologist: small vessel ischemic disease not probable due to patient age (40), migraines possible, demyelination)

In the time since my MRI/MRA (12/23), my symptoms have worsened. I am typing to you now with a numb right hand. Alternately, it'll feel like it's waking up and I'll have prickling. Sometimes pain. Right foot additionally feels numb and heavy. Sometimes I trip on a curb or step. I run into door frames and furniture from time to time, lose my balance when dressing or reaching.

I've dropped items that I try to hold in my right hand. Left hand, last two fingers feel tingly. Sometimes entire arm.

Had two panels of blood drawn. First was CBC and Lyme. All fine. Second panel that I'm still trying to get a copy was B12, folic acid, sed rate, c reactive protein. I will share those as soon as I get them.

I had initially feared MS and then thought, "Nah..it's probably migraines," except that the numbness, tingling and pain have remained long after the "episodes" I was feeling (stroke like)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: As I Wait for Answers...an Update

Post by ElliotB »

Being undiagnosed can be very frustrating! Keep in mind that there are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS.

FWIW, most diseases are related and have inflammation in common.

Some basic questions... Are you at an ideal body weight? Do you take supplements, if so what are you taking? What kind of diet are you following? Do you follow a gluten free diet? What do you drink aside from water? Do you take any medications? How often do you exercise and for how long? How much do you sleep typically?
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

ElliotB wrote:Being undiagnosed can be very frustrating! Keep in mind that there are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS.

FWIW, most diseases are related and have inflammation in common.

Some basic questions... Are you at an ideal body weight? Do you take supplements, if so what are you taking? What kind of diet are you following? Do you follow a gluten free diet? What do you drink aside from water? Do you take any medications? How often do you exercise and for how long? How much do you sleep typically?
I could stand to lose 30lb. I take no supplements. I eat a fairly balanced diet. A bit more fast food than is healthy, probably due to super busy schedule and ease of just picking something up. I do not follow a gluten free diet. I drink maybe 16oz of Mountain Dew a day for energy at work. I had a short course (10 days) dexilant for acid reflux. I now maintain with Pepcid Complete, one table twice daily. I began taking citalopram (Celexa) three weeks ago after a recent "flare" landed me at Urgent Care and doctor felt it was anxiety. "flares" continue despite. I have not exercised regularly for the last two years after bilateral trochanteric bursitis after training for a half marathon and do admit that resuming a walking regimen would do wonders for me if I can get past this numbness and the headaches. I sleep at least 7-8 hours each night. No sleep issues.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not that you're 'older' but pepcid can interfere w b12 absorption. coincidentally i am just drafting an email on ppi meds used for acid reflux, and the links to zinc and magnesium depletion.

Vitamin B12 and older adults
http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutr ... lts.6.aspx
full text excerpt:
"The primary cause of malabsorption in older adults is diminished acid secretions in the stomach leading to decreased capacity to extract vitamin B12 bound to food proteins. The use of histamine H2-receptor antagonist, pharmaceuticals that decrease gastric acid secretion parietal cells, including cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), nizatidine (Axid) and ranitidine (Zantac) may exacerbate impairments in vitamin B12 absorption from food in older adults, but rarely induce deficiency alone. Proton pump inhibitors, which include omeprazole (Prilosec, Losec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), pantoprazole (Protonix, Pantoloc), and esomeprazole (Nexium) block the secretion of gastric acid and pepsin and therefore may be more likely to impair vitamin B12 absorption because they can induce the complete absence of gastric acid secretion. These medicinal agents do not block the absorption of vitamin B12 from supplements because supplemental vitamin B12 is not usually protein bound. Because up to 30% of adults over 51 years of age have atrophic gastritis with low stomach acid excretion, it is recommended that they meet the RDA for vitamin B12 with supplements and/or fortified foods. Short-term consumption of diets lacking vitamin B12 and/or use of medications is usually insufficient to trigger severe cobalamin deficiency."

the thing about b12 'deficiency' is that the normal range isn't the 'optimal health' range and as with many things, a whole bunch of sick occurs within that pesky normal bracket
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.