Does MS affect multiple limbs commonly in intitial symptoms?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
mnvks

Does MS affect multiple limbs commonly in intitial symptoms?

Post by mnvks »

32 year old male, I had weird stiffness in all 4 of my limbs mainly in my outer limbs below the knees & elbows last week and felt kind of hypersensitive/prickly when certain places got touched in my hands and forearms. not much numbness though, and i maybe felt a little weak but nothing debilitating. It lasted about 2 days, I was out of town and didnt make it into the doctor before the symptoms abruptly disappeared. Ive been following up with a doctor for about a year now for thyroid (tsh has been 2-2.5, positive for thyroperoxidase ~150) which got discovered after doing some blood work because i had a dull ache in both my hands on and off, Ive also felt like ive had increased fatigue at time which i figured might be thyroid related but my tsh hasnt gone anywhere whenever ive gone in for a recheck so i think theyre starting to think im crazy. Went to the doctor today and pretty much got completely blown off, they didnt even want to recheck my thyroid levels because i was just in less than 2 months ago for a thyroid recheck. I wasnt sure from reading if ms commonly affected all 4 limbs at the same time or if it was usually just 1 at a time(seems like it can but does it happen frequently or is it pretty uncommon?), and if it was worth getting a second opinion right away or if i should just wait and see if i get the symptoms again.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Does MS affect multiple limbs commonly in intitial sympt

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :) personally, i ended up with stocking and glove neuropathy after having been gradually more and more b12 deficient for years

Potential Outcome Factors in Subacute Combined Degeneration
Review of Observational Studies
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1831618/
"Reported signs and symptoms included symmetric ascending paresthesias, sensory loss, muscle weakness, ataxia, and gait abnormalities. Sensory deficit in a stocking glove distribution pattern "
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mnvks

Post by mnvks »

jimmylegs wrote:hi :) personally, i ended up with stocking and glove neuropathy after having been gradually more and more b12 deficient for years

Potential Outcome Factors in Subacute Combined Degeneration
Review of Observational Studies
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1831618/
"Reported signs and symptoms included symmetric ascending paresthesias, sensory loss, muscle weakness, ataxia, and gait abnormalities. Sensory deficit in a stocking glove distribution pattern "
i did have my b12 checked awhile ago too and that was fine
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i posted more to reference the stocking and glove neuropathy. i do technically have an msdx. not b12 deficient any more, but the neuropathy didn't clear up. you only have so long to mess with these things :S

my docs would have said my b12 was fine all along, by the way. the only time i took a really clean test with no supplements clouding the picture, the lab couldn't pick up a level at all. part of the reason i was dxd with ms was because they didn't rule it out based on b12 issues, because of a computer glitch at my doc's office. it only charted all my other low normal results, not the deficient test because that one came back in text vs a number. cest la vie!

also, worth knowing that your level is OPTIMAL and not just 'fine' :) lots of info on that here.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.