MS or another disease? Too many symptoms, 19 years old

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
charlieczp

MS or another disease? Too many symptoms, 19 years old

Post by charlieczp »

Hello! First I would like to say I love the way everyone in here is very sweet. I have been reading the forum this days, and as I didn't found anything that could actually help I decided to register to ask for help.
I'm 19 years old and I have back pain for over 3 years now. It started due to posture, in my whole back. A little less than 1 year from now the pain focused in my lower back, getting weekly worse. I did 50 sessions of Global Postural Reeducation (RPG) and the pain was no better, even though my posture was almost 100% in what we call "normal". My physician told me I should go to see a rheumatologist, so I went. She barely looked at me and said I have fibromyalgia. My psychiatrist and my psychologist (I have depression) said it could be a possible diagnosis, so we tried two different medications. Some months passed, the pain was getting worse.
- In the past 4 months I have developed the following symptoms: Extreme fatigue, tripping and falling all the time, muscle weakness (mostly in right side of body). One day I noticed I have a huge difficult to hold small objects with my right hand, like buttoning a shirt, and everything I hold just fall if is not entangled in my fingers. Lifting a pen feels like I'm trying to lift a car. My right foot drops sometimes when I'm walking which caused me to fall several times. I had fasciculation in the left muscle of the inside part of my wrist for two weeks and some days my hands (the right is always worse) shake badly.
Since I can't stand still without falling and I walk like I'm drunk and I fall, I'm now using a cane to help me to walk and climb stairs (both my legs hurt badly while trying to climb or go down a stair). In the last 1 month I had to go to the ER twice (in the same week) due to awful lower back pain that paralyzed the right side of my body one day and in the other along with the pain I was feeling eletric impulses like a shock going up and down my back and it did hurt a lot. I have now writing issues, is hard to hold a pen and I often misplace letters - including when typing - and my handwriting looks strange. I also am having a hard time concentrating in anything I do and my memory is bad enough that I had to stop three times to remember what I'm writing here. In a conversation my speech is like Ï went to the market yesterday to buy... hm... An... Apple is the name? No, not an apple. Wait" and this go like that. It seems worse when I'm tired or when my lower back hurts more than the usual daily pain. I have myopia (since 6 years old) and astigmatism (since 14 years) and it's been a while since I went to the ophthalmologist, so I can't say if these are symptoms, but lately my vision is more without focus, specially in the corners and its like I'm seeing double edges in everything. I also noticed I have to blink more than usual to see like I used too, and my eyes move too fast which makes me dizzy sometimes.
About exams:
Full blood test including B12 deficiency, inflammations, even a HLA-B27 test, all came back normal and negative for B27 protein.
Did EMG of upper arms, normal (I don't know if this is true but I read in some articles that the EMG is better done when you know what you're looking for because the position of the needles can change to do the test depending on what could be the diagnosis);
Brain CT came back normal, but I can see small white spots in many places - I can upload some photos if someone wants to see)
Brain and cervical MRI with and without contrast, normal too but I can see white spots in all of them too.
Lumbar MRI showed degeneration on L5-S1, something like a herniated disc, fluid in one of the discs. I don't have the common symptoms of herniated disc, though.

I'm wondering about asking my neuro a spinal tab and evoked potential test to rule out or help confirm the diagnosis of MS. Is this the right next step or am I missing tests I should ask too? If not MS, what else could I have and what should I do? My lumbar problem could be a part of MS? I'm young and I feel like I'm losing mental health and my life trying to find out what is wrong and is disabling me more and more... :(
Thanks for any answers and for the help!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: MS or another disease? Too many symptoms, 19 years old

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome to TIMS. What advise has your primary doctor given you?

Keep in mind that there are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS.

How is your general health? What kind of diet are you following? Do you exercise? Do you take supplements? Do you smoke or drink or do drugs? Is there a lot of stress in your day to day life?
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Brain CT came back normal, but I can see small white spots in many places - I can upload some photos if someone wants to see)
Brain and cervical MRI with and without contrast, normal too but I can see white spots in all of them too.
What does the MRI report say, specifically the impression section. Unless you are a Radiologist it is impossible to know what if what you are looking at is normal or abnormal. For this reason what you believe to be white spots could be normal. If you were told your MRI was normal, more than likely it is.
something like a herniated disc, fluid in one of the discs. I don't have the common symptoms of herniated disc, though.
Ummm, yes you do....
Extreme fatigue, tripping and falling all the time, muscle weakness My right foot drops sometimes when I'm walking which caused me to fall several times. I have back pain for over 3 years now I can't stand still without falling and I walk like I'm drunk and I fall due to awful lower back pain that paralyzed the right side of my body one day and in the other along with the pain I was feeling eletric impulses like a shock going up and down my back and it did hurt a lot. My right foot drops sometimes when I'm walking which caused me to fall several times.
All of the above can be caused by herniated/bulging discs. You should see a neurosurgeon to evaluated your back. An x-ray and/or MRI of your back to check for any other herniation/bulging discs. Herniated/bulging discs can cause Neurological symptoms. There is no reason, based on your MRIs, to suspect MS as a cause...at this time.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

charlieczp wrote:About exams:
Full blood test including B12 deficiency, inflammations, even a HLA-B27 test, all came back normal and negative for B27 protein.
Did EMG of upper arms, normal (I don't know if this is true but I read in some articles that the EMG is better done when you know what you're looking for because the position of the needles can change to do the test depending on what could be the diagnosis);
Lumbar MRI showed degeneration on L5-S1, something like a herniated disc, fluid in one of the discs. I don't have the common symptoms of herniated disc, though.

........... am I missing tests I should ask too? If not MS, what else could I have and what should I do? My lumbar problem could be a part of MS? I'm young and I feel like I'm losing mental health and my life trying to find out what is wrong and is disabling me more and more... :(
Thanks for any answers and for the help!
Welcome to ThisIsMS, charlieczp.

I do not see the vitamin D blood test listed among your blood tests. If you have not had the vitamin D blood test called "25-hydroxy D," please ask your GP or neuro to order one for you. (Also, request your own copy of the test result so that you have the actual number.)

Vitamin D deficiency is common worldwide. It can affect any system in the body and can result in any kind of symptom – even those you describe.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

charlieczp wrote:Full blood test including B12 deficiency, inflammations, even a HLA-B27 test, all came back normal and negative for B27 protein.
It would be great to know your actual B12 test results if you have numbers available. The standard range for B12 is around 200-850 pg/mL and the lower part of this range is much too low and includes many who are actually deficient in B12. If you're experiencing neurological symptoms, then you'll want B12 to be about 600 pg/mL or higher. A potential B12 deficiency may not explain all of your symptoms, but it's a good place to start.
Alexandra
Family Member

Post by Alexandra »

Hi

My sister has a similar issue as the one mentioned. She has symptoms similar to MS such as numbness and weakness of limbs, paresthesia, optical neuritis but the MRI does not show lesssions and the oligoclonalbands are coming negative in the blood tests.
The doctors suspect her of antiphospolilidic syndrome, neuro behcet, lupus and hereditary angioedema type3. She also has swelling randomly and some doctors suggests these could me mini strokes on small blood vessels but all analysis come negative. We are from Romania and a lot of the blood tests are sent to Germany and they take 2-3 weeks for results. I am thinking if the transport could affect the markets and the results. In my case I have confirmed MS but the oligoclonal bands came positive only in Germany.

Do you have any suggestion for a good clinic in Germany and lab where we could go to get a diagnosis for my sister?

Thank you very much
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Alexandra wrote:My sister has a similar issue as the one mentioned. She has symptoms similar to MS such as numbness and weakness of limbs, paresthesia, optical neuritis but the MRI does not show lesssions and the oligoclonalbands are coming negative in the blood tests.
The doctors suspect her of antiphospolilidic syndrome, neuro behcet, lupus and hereditary angioedema type3. She also has swelling randomly and some doctors suggests these could me mini strokes on small blood vessels but all analysis come negative. We are from Romania and a lot of the blood tests are sent to Germany and they take 2-3 weeks for results. I am thinking if the transport could affect the markets and the results. In my case I have confirmed MS but the oligoclonal bands came positive only in Germany.

Do you have any suggestion for a good clinic in Germany and lab where we could go to get a diagnosis for my sister?
Have you and your sister had the vitamin D blood test called "25-hydroxy D"? If not, ask your doctor for it. Also, ask for your own copy of the test results so that you have the actual numbers.

If you are interested in work with vitamin D, ThisIsMS has the "Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol" sub forum (http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... tocol-f57/) where the following information is found:

List of Doctors Worldwide (http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p238410):

Germany
Dr. Kai Reichert
City: Munique
Würm Straße 37, 82166
Phone:. 089-8542576, Karachi.
email: praxis@a-wie-arzt.de
http://www.dr-muellauer.de/aerzte/kai-reichert

Dr. Katja Zöllner
Diagnosis and Therapeutic Procedures Nordsee UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Dd. (Ph.D) Dipl.-Ing. Biomed. Katja Zöllner, HP, MTLA
Kosterlohne 14 - Hage

Dr. Beatrix Schweiger
Integrative - functional - preventative Medicine
Schillerstraße 11
79183 Waldkirch
phone: +49 7681 - 409528
mail: mail@praxis-dr-schweiger.de
web: http://www.schweiger-waldkirch.de