Spasticity A Presenting Symptom?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Soleanomaly

Spasticity A Presenting Symptom?

Post by Soleanomaly »

Hi all. I'm a 31 year old male concerned with symptoms. I have spasticity in my left arm where the muscle has doubled in size (noticed it by accident about 3 months ago) and contracts when moved slowly. Fortunately not painful but very tight.

My gait is deteriorating more recently. Balance and coordination is bad. Very clumsy movements. Walking downstairs is now no longer possible. Walking up can be done if short as my foot turns in when walking.

My last neurological exam was considered normal despite brisk reflexes at last visit in early March. Didn't have these symptoms at that time.

MRI in February noted demyelination but there was no concern from the doctor at that time. Was seeing neurologist for basic epilepsy follow-up. MRI was to evaluate a different type of sclerosis. Mesial temporal sclerosis. However from what I understand that would affect my memory as it's in the hippocampus and would not be the cause of all these symptoms.

Unfortunately all the causes of spasticity are very serious from a spinal injury to a stroke to ALS. Multiple sclerosis is on that list as well. What led me to explore multiple sclerosis is the demyelination on MRI with a number of hyperintensities in the periventricular and subcortal white matter.

Unfortunately I can't see any physician right now as I'm unemployed with no insurance. Timing is just amazing to have issues!

Does this sound like a way multiple sclerosis can present?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Spasticity A Presenting Symptom?

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome to TIMS. Sorry to hear you are ill.

"Does this sound like a way multiple sclerosis can present?"
[/

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing for sure one way or another as MS can present itself so differently and also consider that there are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS.

"Unfortunately I can't see any physician right now as I'm unemployed with no insurance."

Many States offer medical services to those who cannot afford them and in many States, you cannot be turned away from a public hospital if you have no money. What State are you in? Have you checked with your State's social services department?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:Many States offer medical services to those who cannot afford them and in many States, you cannot be turned away from a public hospital if you have no money. What State are you in? Have you checked with your State's social services department?
Many hospitals offer charity care programs. There is also the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid while they last.
Soleanomaly

Post by Soleanomaly »

I have applied for Medicaid in the state of New Jersey. Not sure how long that takes to process. Hopefully sooner then later. I'll have to look into other options that may be offered as I'm not familiar with them. First time I'm without insurance.
Soleanomaly

Post by Soleanomaly »

Different topic. Does gluteal atrophy occur in multiple sclerosis? Both cheeks have circular wasting now but the left one on the left side of it is now thinner then the right. Has me more concerned about potentially ALS despite my all my sensory symptoms.