When is it time to talk to Mr Dr

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Pepperniki

When is it time to talk to Mr Dr

Post by Pepperniki »

I haven't been "diagnosed" with MS, yet, my Dr said it's a possibility. I've noticed a lot of signs/symptoms that I've played off as this or that. I don't run to the Dr for anything really. I think tho, that it may be time to investigate further but I don't want to be a hypochondriac. About 5 years ago I had sudden vision problems, my peripheral vision was shot, everything was completely a blur. It came back about a week later and I dismissed the incident. About 6 months ago the right side of my face went completely numb. Like a line had been drawn down my face and numbness took over the right side. It lasted for about 3 weeks. The Dr said at that point that I could have MS but we were going to treat as Bell's palsy because that would be more common. The medication had no effect and my face stayed numb for about 3 weeks. About 3 months ago I had pains in my ribs like labor pains. I couldn't breath or talk or move it hurt so bad. At that point I went to the hospital for fear something was seriously wrong (still not linking MS at this point), they said the cartilage in my ribs cage was torn and to be more careful. Home I went. I get horrible headaches since I was a child but about 5 years ago I was also diagnosed with cluster headaches as well. Still not linking anything until about 2 weeks ago I noticed that I stutter and I never use to, I drop things like I just let go of them, heat (has always bothered me) makes me feel weak and tired and my face tingles like it wants to go numb again. I've got this big hump at the base of my neck that I assumed was bad posture but now I wonder. My neck bothers me a lot and sometimes if I turn my head too fast I get this awful sharp burn in it like fire. There are other things I'm forgetting, I'm sure, but these are a few that make me wonder if maybe I should look into MS further with my Dr or if I'm just being a hypochondriac. Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated, thank you so much.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: When is it time to talk to Mr Dr

Post by Zyklon »

Welcome. All these symptoms without even one MRI? Any vitamin B12 test? MS diagnosis can be very very easy in minutes or can take years. Please share more.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Pepperniki

Post by Pepperniki »

Thank you for your response, it's the first one I've gotten anywhere. About 2 years ago my GP ran some tests to check my thyroid, they came back that it was under active a little but that's all the tests I've ever had done. The thyroid medicine he put me on did nothing to help anything. I feel the same now, 2 years later, as I did when he checked it. Maybe no one has put 2 and 2 together yet to think of MS ànd check for it or anything else. I've tried B12 supplements myself due to no energy AT ALL, pills, gummies, under tongue liquid, nothing has helped that either. Sometimes I feel like my muscles just don't want to cooperate and I just pass it off as being tired. That's why the B12. I'm not a Dr runner, that's why I'm just now putting all of this together. I had to sit down and go back to the beginning of odd things that I just dismissed.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

I would suggest you start with your Primary Care Physician. Right now there is nothing, test or exam/evaluation, to even indicate what might be causing your symptoms. Multiple Sclerosis is a diagnosis of exclusion and cannot be diagnosed based on symptoms alone as many things can cause the same symptoms.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Pepperniki wrote:Thank you for your response, it's the first one I've gotten anywhere. About 2 years ago my GP ran some tests to check my thyroid, they came back that it was under active a little but that's all the tests I've ever had done. The thyroid medicine he put me on did nothing to help anything. I feel the same now, 2 years later, as I did when he checked it. Maybe no one has put 2 and 2 together yet to think of MS ànd check for it or anything else. I've tried B12 supplements myself due to no energy AT ALL, pills, gummies, under tongue liquid, nothing has helped that either. Sometimes I feel like my muscles just don't want to cooperate and I just pass it off as being tired. That's why the B12. I'm not a Dr runner, that's why I'm just now putting all of this together. I had to sit down and go back to the beginning of odd things that I just dismissed.
Please have following tests an share:

Serum B12 (Neurologic symptoms, balance issues, energy)
Serum Magnesium (Neurologic symptoms, balance issues)
Serum Iron (Energy)
Serum 25(OH)D D3 (Since you have neurological symptoms, it is good idea to boost your D3 level as a pre-caution.)

You are at the beginning of the road :)
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

re serum iron, usually one would start with serum ferritin and then potentially move on to the complete iron panel.
serum zinc and copper, and the ratio between these serum levels, are also important players in chronic illness.
i would never recommend boosting d3 without first ensuring high normal serum magnesium status and a daily dietary intake above the basic daily minima recommended by public health departments. my 2c!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.