Husband health issues

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Anonau

Husband health issues

Post by Anonau »

My husband has had health issues for some years. He is 37yo. Symptoms include: extreme fatigue, tingling, pins and needles, cramps and twitching over whole body. Bladder issues. Brain fogginess. Difficulty swallowing/breathing at times. Difficulty sleeping. Very sore feet at times. Has had EMG problems were noted. Brain scan showed some lesions but they said they weren't a problem.

He has been to 2 neurologists, 1st was private. She confirmed there were issues and referred us to a public hospital as we don't have private health care. Wanted us to see someone else within a week or two.

2nd neurologist did not seem helpful right from the start. We waited over a month for the appt then she sent husband off for an EMG. Waited months for that. Saw a different neurologist at next appointmrnt who said emg was fine and it was probably an injury to shoulder (this is where my husband has most tingling, twitching, numbness in this hand/arm) and stress causing other symptoms. I really felt we were being fobbed off.

My husband went back to GP who said that diagnosis didn't seem right. He referred us back to first neurologist and we'll just have to pay to get another opinion. We have searched information and MS fits almost 100%. I realise lots of conditions can be similar to MS.

Just wanting some advice of any other possible causes for the symptoms or if anyone else has had a similar situation. Seems like we are in limbo just waiting around all the time. My husband has a physical job and completely unable to work at present. Really feels like we are getting nowhere.

Vitamin b helps sometimes. He sometimes need predisolone for asthma and always feels a lot better on this.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Husband health issues

Post by jimmylegs »

given the association between low normal serum magnesium status and asthma, could ask a dietitian if he's meeting his daily magnesium needs with diet and fluids while accounting for size (bigger you are, more you need) and lifestyle including physical activity (can lose magnesium to sweating/exertion), stress (injury or emotional), alcohol consumption (increases excretion), calcium intake (high calcium in relation to mag can be an issue), or pharmaceutical drug use (PPIs deplete magnesium).

my history with low mag included difficulty breathing and swallowing, cramps an twitching among other things.

there's a lot more to optimizing health than one essential nutrient, but it's a place to start and a dietitian will look at the larger picture not just one essential nutrient.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Anonau

Post by Anonau »

Thank you for replying this is something else we will look into
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Anonau wrote:. He sometimes need predisolone for asthma and always feels a lot better on this.
Is your husband on maintenance medication for his Asthma?
Difficulty breathing at times, Difficulty sleeping
If his Asthma is not controlled he can be more tired (fatigued), have breathing difficulties and trouble sleeping. A lack of sleep or not having restful sleep can cause brain fogginess.
Very sore feet at times
Has your husband been tested for diabetes? Has he seen a Podiatrist?