Help please

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Re: Help please

Post by goldpeak93 »

Thanks for the detailed response! Yes, I had a psychiatrist prescribe the medicine. I was also put on Buspar for anxiety at the time, but I since come off that. My depression med options are minimal due to the sexual side effects many cause.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Now I am almost sure that you have overdosed B12. Bad diet and 900+ B12, no way.

Did you take B12 alone or it was with B-complex? B-complex vitamins overdose is toxic and maybe related with your symptoms.

Please share your medicine/supplement history. Get tested for serum magnesium as soon as possible. Boosting your D3 level is another good idea after magnesium check.

If it is magnesium deficiency, you may say goodbye to your current medicines. Seriously only magnesium may be your cure for almost everything.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Post by goldpeak93 »

Just talked with my doctor's nurse, and she said the doctor is not concerned about the B12 results. Their upper limit of "normal" is 946 pg/mL, so I was only over by 9.

I just took B12, not B-complex vitamins. The B12 dosage was 1000 mcg in pill form.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

In cases of cyanide poisoning, doctors will give 5-10 g of hydroxocobalamin via IV. This is 5000 to 10,000 times a 1000 µg dose. Note that I'm not recommending B12 doses at this level. It's just something to keep in mind. My own experience is that I tried 20 mg/day of methylcobalamin for a week since I was feeling like I couldn't get enough B12. After one week I had to stop because I felt a little unbalanced emotionally. I suspect that the high doses of methylcobalamin were disturbing the balance of other members of the methylation cycle. In contrast, taking 8 mg/day of adenosylcobalamin doesn't seem to have the same negative effects.
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Post by goldpeak93 »

Doubt it's anything to do with my lab situation, but I woke up extremely nauseous today. Think I'm just getting sick since I always fall ill this time of year. I'll make sure to bring this up at my appointment in 2 weeks.

Otherwise, my symptoms seem to be doing fine. Leg numbness has been gone since the day that I initially posted about it. Been working out the last couple weeks and I think that is helping reduce my tremor. Hope these are good signs.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Zyklon wrote:Too much B-Complex vitamins can do nerve damage.

Hello,

I take B-complex everyday.

So, after reading "Too much B-Complex vitamins can do nerve damage", I got confused.
Indeed, I thought the "too much" was flushed away...

->Is this sentence just your feeling, or, is it based on solid data?

Thanks
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"too much B-Complex vitamins can do nerve damage."

Not sure how much is too much but all multi B vitamins don't have very much of any particular B vitamin in them. I take several B supplements including one which has much higher doses of many B vitamins than multi vitamins that is supposed to help with damaged nerves which I have.

Also, Biotin, which is a B vitamin has been shown to likely be beneficial when taken in high dosages.

In fact, there are several supplements marketed to help repair nerve damage and they are all high in B vitamins, and certainly much higher than any multi/complex available.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

http://www.solgaronline.co.uk/Formula-V ... p_481.html

Bottom on the page there is a warning. One of my doctors warned me about too much b-complex can do nerve damage and said 50 mcg daily needs monitoring.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

It's high doses of B6 that are of concern. Too much B6 can cause loss of proprioception. This is our body's awareness of movement, position and muscle tension. The RDA for B6 is just 2 mg/day. Many supplements have quite a bit more.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p241582
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This is one of the B supplements I take that seems fairly similar to the one you linked to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0172 ... UTF8&psc=1

Their 'Warning": "Put an END to the BURNING, TINGLING and STABBING PAIN once and for all."

For many supplements, such as D3 for example (and certain B vitamins), the upper limit of what is safe to take is an unknown factor. For legal reasons, disclaimers are often added as a precaution.

FWIW: The RDA for just about everything is generally quite conservative, for example:

The RDA for D3 is from 400iu to 800iu daily.

The U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for biotin is 300 micrograms daily.

Both can be taken safely in much higher doses!

According to this article, "The risk of nerve damage increases with doses of 200 mg per day or more (according to the University of Maryland Medical Center).":

http://www.livestrong.com/article/41539 ... dangerous/

The supplements referenced above have very low doses of B6 by comparison. There seem to be a lot of warnings about high dose B6 so it is probably one NOT to take in high doses!
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Post by goldpeak93 »

Thanks for the responses everyone, they are greatly appreciated. I have my rheum appointment tomorrow afternoon, so I'll post an update afterwords. I know it's just a consult with a doctor, but I'm still pretty nervous.
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Post by goldpeak93 »

Just got back from my appointment. Rheumatologist wasn't concerned whatsoever about the lab results. He said my 1:80 (speckled) ANA test was a false positive. Considering all my other lab work came back normal, he said an autoimmune condition isn't plausible. He was not able to comment on the elevated B12, but he doesn't think it's anything to worry about considering my health is good otherwise.

He noticed my tremor but said it's very mild. Think it was worse than normal though since I was nervous about the appointment. Also did a reflex test. When I got evaluated by the neuro last year, he noted hyperreflexia and clonus. This doctor said my knee jerk reflex may be a little more reflexive than the average person, but it's not a high hyperreflexive. He also didn't notice any ankle clonus, so that put my mind at ease.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Perhaps a 2nd opinion should be considered (unless you are satisfied with your doctor's opinion).
goldpeak93
Getting to Know You...

Post by goldpeak93 »

He said if anything, I could setup another appointment with a neurologist to look into the tremor more. But he assured me that my lab results are not indicative of a diagnosis within his specialty. I didn't know this, but he said more tests were run by my PCP that didn't show up on my result sheet. These were more specific tests checking for specific autoimmune conditions, and they all came back negative.

Concerning my tremor, I really don't know what to think about it. It definitely gets worse when I'm anxious, but when I forget about it, it doesn't seem any worse than when I first got it evaluated last year. This was a point the doctor today brought up. My symptoms are barely progressing (if they are progressing at all). I'm just going to take his advice and try to forget about this whole situation. If symptoms progress, I will definitely look into another neurology appointment.

Return to “Undiagnosed”