CSF testing and other questions

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Sherwin

CSF testing and other questions

Post by Sherwin »

I'm a 39 year old female, with a 4 year old and a 9 month old.
I've had an MRI that shows T2 hyper-intensities in 2 of the 4 areas of the brain that may indicate MS. However, both neurologists I have seen say that I do not have the traditional history or current symptoms of someone with MS, so I have had a CSF test done (awaiting results - ugh!) and I will go for an evoked potentials test this Wednesday.
My symptoms started out as pain and muscle twitching in my left hand, and had an EMG test and nerve conduction study test done back in June to check for carpal tunnel (and I was scared to death that I had ALS. Never google muscle twitching!!) The neuro-physiatrist said that there was nothing ominous, and felt that my symptoms were related to fatigue and anxiety.
The symptoms have since progressed to my left leg and right hand. I had another brief EMG test done in August to alleviate my still-present extreme fear of ALS, and it was within normal ranges again. 2 neurologists have reassured me that I don't have ALS, but I can't seem to get rid of that fear.
I am now getting some tingling/numbness in my left hand, and sometimes in my feet or legs - especially after sitting down. I'm having weird sensations in my tongue and neck as well, but all of the symptoms seem to come and go. (I started taking cymbalta and trazadone in August, so it's difficult to know if some of my symptoms are related to the medications or not).
I have a million questions, but I will start with the following:

1. What do neurologists typically test for in CSF test, other than the oligloclonal bands? Do they test for herpes?

2. Has anybody else experienced or heard of muscle twitching as a symptom of MS?

Thanks!!

S.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: CSF testing and other questions

Post by Snoopy »

Sherwin wrote: 1. What do neurologists typically test for in CSF test, other than the oligloclonal bands? Do they test for herpes?
A Lumbar Puncture is used in the diagnosis of many things. This link will give you more information:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthli ... _92,P07666
2. Has anybody else experienced or heard of muscle twitching as a symptom of MS?
Muscle twitching can be due to just about anything, including fatigue and anxiety.
especially after sitting down
Multiple Sclerosis isn't positional.